Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Interview with O'mega Red



Interview with O’mega Red

Boston born rapper O’mega Red has held his own in the state of Massachusetts. O’mgea Red has the titles emcee/producer, an executive of Stay Grindin and an occasional actor under his resume. O’mega Red has charisma and it shows on his music and his live performances. From winning numerous awards including putting out musical hits, he played a small role in Martin Scorsese’s film “Shutter Island” featuring Leonardo DiCaprio and in the independent film “Roid Rage”. O’mega Red discusses with intrigued on his career, his love for Boston and his future musical plans.

1)            Okay the name O’mega Red. Did you get that name from the character in the X-men comics?
O’mega Red: No, I got that from when I was in the “University.” All the OG’s used to call me “Big Red” because of my size and my red hair they started calling me O’Mega Red because I used to lift a lot of weights and I got really big. Then I looked Omega up in the dictionary and it was the last letter Greek letter in the alphabet and it also meant “Something big was coming. It just had a ring to it and it stuck with me.

2)            Tell us how you got started in the game!
O’mega Red: I hooked up with the biggest DJ in New England- DJ Ray Barboza and then from there my music started to spread all over New England. Then DJ Master Millions connected me with a good friend of his, Dre Sinatra to collaborate with Ray J and other producers and artists on the East and West coasts. The rest is history.  I grew up playing saxophone. So I am a true musician and it evolved getting into Hip-Hop.

3)            Has your exposure to jazz music as a younging with your father influenced your affinity for hip hop music?
O’mega Red: I grew up playing saxophone. So I am a true musician and as Jazz influenced Hip-Hop, Hip-Hop provided me a better outlet to express myself with words.

4)            You from Massachusetts where a lot of talented emcees and producers represent. How come Massachusetts is not too much recognized in hip hop like New York City, California or Atlanta?
O’mega Red: I don’t believe that is true. Boston people are a major force in the music industry but in many cases we have to leave in order to be successful and we are well respected amongst most of our peers.

5)            You won numerous awards from the New England Urban Music Awards to the Boston Music Awards. You also were nominated for the Hollywood Music in Media Awards consecutive years from 2010-2012 including winning in 2011. What was your reaction towards nominating for these awards?
O’mega Red: I was honored to be recognized because I’ve put a lot of hard work into my craft.

6)            What makes you motivated to continue doing music?
O’mega Red: My passion and my love for music. Plus, I become humbled helping others.

7)            What are the advantages of becoming an emcee/producer?
O’mega Red: Knowing good music to rap-to.

8)            Talk to us about Stay Grindin’ music
O’mega Red: Stay Grindin’ Music is not just a label; it’s a way of life. From Main Street to Wall Street, it represents everyone and anyone who puts hard work into their passion. They can be successful and that’s what my music represents.

9)            How does the production sound of your team Stay Grindin’ brings out your style?
O’mega Red: It’s collaborative. Everyone on my team shares my vision.

10)         Has working with Stay Grindin’ brings out the best in your work ethic?
O’mega Red: I am Stay Grindin. I built it from the ground up. My goal is to connect like-minded people to my brand and make positive moves happen.

11)         What was your first reaction when you picked up well established publications like the Boston Herald and the Source and saw your profile?
O’mega Red: It was an honor to be recognized by such established publications; and that hard work pays-off.

12)         Spitting bars on tracks is important but how important is touring and getting interviewed by blogs, various websites and major publications?
O’mega Red: Touring and social Media connects me to my fan-base. Without them I am just a musician without listeners.

13)         Describe a typical O’mega Red live performance!
O’mega Red: Explosive. Dynamic. Engaging. Intimate.

14)         You also did a song with your aunt Donna Summer on the track Angel. How was it working with Donna Summer?
O’mega Red: I can’t even describe the feeling because she was such an icon. Not too many people will ever have the opportunity to do that so I am blessed.

15)         Some people would feel intimidated working with an icon like Donna Summer. Were you a little intimidated working with an icon like a Donna Summer’s caliber?
O’mega Red: No....it’s in my blood

16)         You also got into acting. What made you decide to also take up acting?
O’mega Red: I was interested in trying it out. I still have a lot to learn.

17)         What makes a successful talented artist in any genre?
O’mega Red: Being a student of music and always evolving.

18)         Any artist you have in mind that you like to work with in the future?
O’mega Red: Not really. But Artist who I can have synergy with.

19)         How is the new album Red October coming along?
O’mega Red: It’s been a long time in-the-making and I am very excited to see the progress on the project.

20)         What can fans expect from the Red October album?
O’mega Red: It’s going to be very vivid like a score in the movies. I wanted my album to be cinematic-very diverse.

21)         What’s next for O’mega Red in 2013?
O’mega Red: Sky’s the limit baby.

22)         Where do you see yourself in the next couple of years of this fickle ever changing hip hop music?
O’mega Red: Doing a lot of power moves behind the scenes (i.e., publishing, branding, developing other artists)

23)         Before finishing this interview, any shoutouts!
O’mega Red: Shout-out to the whole Stay Grindin’ camp, Oliver Grey, LeyOne Tracks, Uncle Tay, Mattie Finch, Vanesa Simmarano, Beat Clock and Tonya Payton

24)         Definitely a pleasure interviewing you, tell peeps how they can get at for music or any collaborations?
O’mega Red: www.staygrindin.com and you can contact me on all social media including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram @OMEGAREDSUPAFAN:

No comments:

Post a Comment