Sunday, May 12, 2013

Interview with International Nova



Interview with International Nova

Artists put out continuous music and gets love from the fans; their dedication shows within their craft. BX’s International Nova had made success in his career with the group StreetCorna selling records overseas as well as being a successful solo artist. With the signing to Monarchy records, he has more creative control of his music and understanding of the entrepreneur business side. As he prepares for a date for his anticipated album “Point of No Return”, International Nova talks with Intrigued with his success entrepreneurial moves as an artist, producer, actor, model and directing. A grind that is super serious, International Nova will show you how.

1)            Congratulations on signing with Monarchy records. What made you decide to sign with Monarchy records?
International Nova: Thank you bro, it was a hard decision as I had offers from majors as well. In the end though, I wanted to be the person driving a car in my career. With monarchy I have control over every aspect of my situation. Plus they gave me a great deal when it comes to the business aspects so it was hard to turn it down. Through my deal I am able to have major distribution when it comes to physical retail stores and digital as well.

2)            Your album “Point of No Return” is coming out. How much of it is done and who is on it?
International Nova: Yea man it was definitely stressful lol. As far as the album it’s been finished for about a month and a half now. We just got the release date about a week ago so we’re looking at a release date of August 6th. We have Tony sunshine, Hussein Fatal (of Tupac’s group the Outlawz), Fred the godson, Shorty Mack Ja’shayla who’s a dope female RNB artist as well as my artists on EMG and some other surprise appearances.

3)            For peeps that don’t know you, where you from and how you came up with the name International Nova?
International Nova: Well I'm from the Bronx New York. Been grinding for a bit now! The international comes from my international success in the past. As part of my old group we had #1 and other top 25 records on the DJ charts in Japan, Switzerland, Germany and other places. So it only made sense to add international to my name lol. Plus besides Nova being my real name there are many artists with that name so I had to distinguish it from the other artists.

4)            The single “Mansions and Audemars” featured R&B sensation Tony Sunshine. How was it working with him and how did you link up with Sunshine?
International Nova: Well me and Tony go way back, I have known him for a minute now and we’re family. He’s like an older brother to me personally and in the music biz. So whenever we are in the studio it’s like second nature I already know what he’s thinking and vice versa.

5)            You got mixtape after mixtape generating mad downloads in a short time span. What motivates you to put out good music?
International Nova: Its funny cuz I only have 1 solo mixtape. “Sex Love & Heartbrake” but I’m featured on so many different mixtapes I have lost count lol. Honestly I just try to make music that sounds good to me and in turn hopefully it sounds good to others lol . Motivation for me comes from the luv I get from fans and supporters all around the world. On bad days it’s amazing to wake up to amazing love from the fans.

6)            You also were in a group “StreetCorna”. What have you learned from the success of the group that made you well known without being signed to a major?
International Nova: With StreetCorna, success came very early for us. After only recording 1-2 songs we had radio play plus performance after performance so it all happened pretty quickly for us. Soon after forming we had some offers on the table as well as some solo offers for me but I didn’t want to make a move without streetcorna. We had some deals go sour which made us not be very trustful of others when it came to this business. But even with StreetCorna I always took a big roll on the business end so to me the most important thing I learned from SC is that as an artist you should understand the business aspect of the music business as much as possible.

7)            I noticed from listening to your tracks, you know how to differentiate song writing from spitting bars on tracks. For all the artists, explain the difference between the two.
International Nova: I am glad you brought that up lol. For me I always tell people if you’re looking for punchlines after punchlines and me throwing people off the roof you’re not gonna get that from me. I am gonna give you subject matter but I am going to make you enjoy my records to the point you’re gonna be singing along. It’s funny because I would always get the underground rap heads come up to me and say “I can’t front homie you make hits” and to me that means a lot because that’s my goal. Not to just rap but to be an artist and give you records that make you forget the drama you just had at work or at home with the misses. I want you to lose yourself in my records and just enjoy the moment.

8)            Describe your writing process when approaching a beat.
International Nova: My writing process is pretty simple..lol.. I don’t write. Lol. When I say I don’t write I mean I come up with everything in my head. From early on I noticed that my mind works and comes up with melodies and lyrics faster than my hand can write so from early on I practiced writing lyrics in my head so nowadays I can write or come up with records anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. If I am really feeling a beat I can come up with a hook in 2 minutes and a verse in about 10 minutes. I never force a record. By that I mean that if I don’t have a chorus or a verse in 20 minutes then my mind is not feeling the beat so I move on to another record or record some other time altogether. Sometimes I can write and record 10-15 records in a few days or go a month without recording 1. It really depends on my mood

9)            “In My Own Zone” you directed the video. How was it being behind the camera and calling all the shots?
International Nova: It’s pretty great I mean I direct and edit all my videos so to me it’s amazing because as artists when we come up with records many times we already have the vision for the record as we writing and recording it so to me it’s a simple translation to shoot and direct my stuff.

10)         Will we see International Nova directing videos for other artists?
International Nova: Definitely, I have already directed and shot several for other artists.

11)         You are also an actor and a model. Is it difficult working on the solo career and juggle into other adventures?
International Nova: Definitely is. I mean I always tell people I will never be outworked. If you want this you have to grind for it. No one gives you anything in this world. You have to go out and work for it.

12)         Since you have a major buzz on the independent level. Have you had thoughts of signing to a major?
International Nova: All the time, this industry is about money. You either have it or you don’t but if you don’t have the money then you better have the connections. I have been lucky that I built my buzz and relationships in this business off my work ethic and grind.  The great thing about the industry this day in age is that the internet makes it easy to get your music out there.

13)         Let’s say you’re an A&R and you’re listening to other people’s material, what do you look for in an up and coming artist that makes you want to work with them?
International Nova: Honestly since I do have my own label and have a distribution deal already in place for it I do A&R peoples records so for me it’s a package. They have to have that quality that you can put your finger on but makes you connect with them. Sometimes you can hear someone’s material and the music may not be there but you can pick certain things up that tell you, you know what with the right team and music behind this artist he or she can be big.

14)         What’s more important when you are listening to another artist, the lyrics, production or both?
International Nova: Both. I look for artists, and to me that include music lyrics and charisma.

15)         Name five artists and producers you would like to work with in the future?
International Nova: Diddy, JD, Lloyd, Trey songs, and TI

16)         What’s in your I-Pod nowadays?
International Nova: Tupac, Big Pun, the Outlawz and Joe Budden

17)         What can we expect from International Nova in 2013?
International Nova: Man so many things. Music, fashion and a lot of work and grind from me!

18)         For collaborations and music, where can heads get at you for that info?
International Nova: They can hit us up on my website www.itsinternationalnova.com or email:Internationalnova@gmail.com or nikki@thenikitagroup.com my management is great at getting back to everyone.

Thank you for the love I really appreciate it!
Much love to my supporters and family because at the end of the day if you support me, you’re family!

No comments:

Post a Comment