Friday, June 15, 2012

Willie Stubz















 
Interview with Willie Stubz
            Many legendary rappers represent Queens to the fullest. Willie Stubz is not a newjack to the game. The Corona Queens rapper came to the scene lacing up vocals on the Beatnuts albums and the classic single “Pimping Ain’t Easy” with Cuban Link. Willie has a rugged flow and stage presence that will catch anyone’s attention. With two albums already under his belt, He’s back with new music to hit some heads with. He’s a win-win prospect ready to explode in the industry.

1)            What’s good Willie Stubz, how’s it going?
Still breathing, feeling blessed for what I have.
                        
2)            You’re not new to this, tell cats who you are and how you got started in the game?
I go by the name Willie Stubz. Started rapping since I was 13 just for fun with my cousin RIZ. I was introduced to SPK who was beginning his career as a producer. He was also from the same hood (Corona, Queens). We had good chemistry and made real NY hip hop songs. You can hear the best of the songs we made on "The Industry" album. I was then introduced to a man named Mel "Megadon" Gonzalez who signed me to PENTAGON ENTERTAINMENT. Mel was probably the most influential person. He believed in me and always supported me 100 percent. God bless the dead. I think it's easier if you Google Willie Stubz.

3)            You been in the game for a hot minute, how did you got hooked up with the Beatnuts?
The Beatnuts were from Corona but, they had already been out and I was a fan before I met them. One of my peoples was at the barber shop around the way and was playing a cassette of my songs. Ju Ju heard it and asked me if I could fly out with them to L.A. in a few hours. I said yes and met them at the airport headed to L.A. to perform.

4)            "Pimping Ain't Easy" was my joint, how was it working with Cuban Link?
Working with Cuban Link was real cool. It felt like we were just hanging in studio and next thing you know, "Pimpin Ain't Easy" is getting played all over the air waves.

5)            Would you sign with a major label?
I would sign with a major label if the deal is right.

6)            What the music business has taught you as an artist?
The music business has taught me as an artist that, you should never compromise what you believe in. As an artist you don't do this for money but, as a man you know you need money to survive.

7)            Your 1st album "The Industry" was a dope album and had a street buzz, was getting guest appearances difficult?
The Industry was my first album and I had so many songs to pick from it was difficult to choose the tracks. All of the features on the album are people that I knew and worked with. Everybody who featured did it without a problem.

8)            Queens is a hard hitting track. How the concept came about with Capone and Nature?
My man Ric Rude blazed that beat. I thought It would be a good track to flip for a Queens anthem to. We originally thought Nature and Royal Flush but, Flush couldn't make it and Capone killed it.

9)            Spkilla is one of my favorite producers. how was it working with him?
When I worked with SPK we had a real gully work ethic. When we were on the same page we were unstoppable.

10)         How did you get into production?
When I parted ways with SPK, I had to learn everything I could about recording myself on Protools and later making my own beats.

11)         Your sophomore album "Lead by Example" you produced a few tracks. Has producing your own tracks brought more creativity to your music?
Lead By Example should've been a mixtape. I had taught myself the basics about recording, producing & mixing without any help. I didn't want to keep my fans waiting for new music so, I dropped the album and I did everything down to the design and the art work. I like producing and making my own music but, I prefer to stick to doing one thing at a time.

12)         What's the difference between "The Industry" and "Lead by Example"?
The Industry was a team effort. One producer & One Rapper and about 100 songs to pick from. Lead By Example can't compare because, I literally did everything from teaching myself how to produce, record, mix and master and still have to spit on everything. It's hard work for 1 person that has to be at work in the morning.

13)         You have different hustles: CEO, performer, MC, producer, web designer and engineering. Has it worked to your advantage?
All my different hustles are things that I wish I had more time to do. They are have made me more independent. I don't need to click up with nobody to do what I do...

14)         Why do you think the East is not promoted hard enough like the South?
The East is like chick that everybody banged out. The south is like the younger chick that don't have that much mileage but, she's catching up fast.

15)         Take us to a Willie Stubz session?
A Willie Stubz session will definitely have you with the mad face on. We always come out of there with something Grizzly.

16)         What equipment do you use?
Right now I use Reason to make beats & Protools 9 to record and mix. Working with MAC.

17)         Who are your influences?
My influences are: My cousin Riz, The Beatnuts, DJ Muggs & Greg NICE, Cypress Hill, Kool G Rap, Eric B & Rakim, EPMD, RedMan, Wu-Tang Clan, Biggie, Nas, 50 Cent, Gangstarr and many more...

18)         What's coming up for you?
I've been so delayed on this next project that, I have no excuses. I'm hoping to drop a new album featuring 2 new artists (MAJ & MaNiA SeVen) on PENTAGON / SMG. There's new beats from Psycho Les of The Beatnuts, Ric Rude, DYNO, LATE, scratches by DJ SKiZZ and some of my favorite beats.

19)         How can peeps get at your music?
Right now you can go to itunes.com or cdbaby.com to purchase any of the Willie Stubz albums available. Check out soundcloud.com/wstubz so you can download the latest music from Willie Stubz.


20  Any shout outs!
I want to shout out everybody I've been working with for these up and coming albums & EP's: DYNO, Psycho Les, MAJ, Mania Seven, DJ Skizz, Eddie Chase, Trez, Ric Rude, K-Rime, BAM, Late, UZeeK(France) and my dude Ty Jones for the interview.

If you haven’t been up on Willie Stubz, this is it. Go holla at Willie Stubz at
            soundcloud.com

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff man! Informative, interesting, and makes one reflect back! I enjoyed it! Keep up the great work bro! MUCH LOVE!!!

    S/O to my Hometown, Queens, New York!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIG UP & MUCH RESPECT To one of the KINGS FROM QUEENS, my homie S.T.U.B.Z !!! One !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice interview cuzo keep up the good work and keep hitting them with those raw bangers
    Corona Queenz !!!

    ReplyDelete