Thursday, May 9, 2013

Interview with Sullee J



Interview with Sullee J

The state of hip hop mostly glorifies the club scene, misogyny and violence. Radio shows play music that is for the general public. Not too many artists can divert their lyrical delivery on other issues. Common, Talib Kweli and other artists both mainstream and underground put out conscious, political and storytelling lyrics and still get the respect they deserve. This includes Baltimore born/Chicago bred Pakistani/American emcee Sullee J who is made an impressive debut on numerous songs. Sullee J is also an activist reaching out to people and bridging the gap on peace. With a great impression rhyming with Royce da 5’9” and Cashis and with his new video “Free World” is doing well with the youtube reviews, he talks with Intrigued about his music, his activism and his heritage.

1)            You got the new “Free World” video out right now getting crazy youtube reviews. How that video came about?
Sullee J: Basically, the theme behind Free World was “Freedom of Speech”. I believe that everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression, regardless of their race, religion, status, etc. I don’t believe in conformity, or doing something just because everyone else is doing it. Conformity is a language I don’t speak. I want artist, people in general to be able to “say what they wanna say” without having to worry about what someone else thinks of them. Be real! Be you!

2)            For people that don’t know your music, describe your lyrical content and your music to the fans.
Sullee J: My music is not just a means, but it means something. My music is not just a drug for the minds, but substance from the heart. It is a prescription of light, for those in the dark. My music is me, nothing more, nothing less. My music is what I believe, knowledge for those who know less. My music is positive, somewhat of a fresh breath. My music is to inspire, to touch the organ under the left breast. My music is for those who listen, an awakening of the mind. The truth is what I speak; my lyrics are not just rhymes.

3)            You are a descendant from Palestinian parents. Has those roots influenced your music?
Sullee J: The older generation in my culture is not too fond of “Hip Hop” in general, although there have been some legendary Pakistani poets. I have always been a poet at heart, before putting rhyme into rhythm. Being Pakistani, although has motivated me into pushing even harder as an artist, because I take negative comments such as “you will never make it” and use them to influence myself into going even harder. Coming from a background like this, especially post-9/11 and having to put up with all these stereotypes and biases, definitely reflects in my music. It allows me to have a voice, and speak for those who feel the same way through my music. I am not afraid to stand up for my roots, mostly my religion. I refuse to be generalized by the eye of the mainstream media.

4)            You not only an artist, you are also an activist. Tell us how do you empower and motivate others.
Sullee J: I try to be diverse with how I let my message out. I write articles, try to be involved in fundraisers/benefits when I can, do charity around the world. I try and give direction with everything I do. Especially with my music, I make sure whatever type of song it is, I include some sort of positive message that might make you think twice. I try and show people that regardless of how far I get with my music, I am still me. I don’t change my image for public approval. I try to inspire the youth especially, being on radio, going on tour, a lot of fans look up to you. I show them a different side of hip hop; it’s not about bling-bling, drinks, drugs, who’s got the most women around their arms. I keep it educational. Music is a heavy influence on our generation now days, so I want mine to impact people in a way, which helps them grow.

5)            In the “Free World” you mentioned about your Muslim heritage and people think you cause calamity. What are the misconceptions people have about Muslims?
Sullee J: I can’t even put up a status about Islam without getting some sort of criticism. It’s amazing how brainwashed people are because of what the media displays of Islam. Any act of terrorism now days, they automatically scapegoat Muslims. It’s shocking because, the comments they make have no source or any relevance behind their theories. Some people will say, “F*@k you sand ni**er, go back to Iraq, Muslims are all evil” comments which make no sense to me. It’s sad because, a lot of Muslims are afraid to be Muslims in America, just because of how the media has traumatized people’s views of Islam. They have made us look like evil people, based off no real evidence. It’s funny to me because, a Caucasian person goes into a movie theater and shoots it up and a few weeks later every things normal. Not trying to justify any immoral act, but a bomb goes off, the people aren’t even Muslim, but automatically everyone’s programmed to assume it’s a Muslim who “probably” did it. That’s the issue at hand.

6)            You also got the track with Royce da 5’9” and Cashis called “I’ll Bury You”. You really held your own on the track. How that track came about and how was it rhyming with these two heavyweights on the same track?
Sullee J: Appreciate it man. Just being on a track with a couple of artists that I respect because of their hustle and lyricism, was a blessing in the making. I appreciate both of their willingness to work with an artist on the rise and show love still, even though they made it as far as they have. It gives me hope that there are people who gain millions of fans, but still can keep it humble and lack ego. Shout outs to Kino and Allan K. for the help on setting all that up.

7)            You originated from Baltimore Maryland and you were exposed to music when you were in Chicago. When did you take music seriously and do you remember the first rhyme you ever wrote?
Sullee J: Music was something I grew up on. Chicago was just where I got a bit more serious about it. I was always writing poetry growing up, as far back as 5th grade I can remember, I had an assignment and wrote the whole thing in a rhyme. I still remember my teacher saying “this is brilliant” for a kid my age. I tend to turn everything into rhymes, from thoughts in my head to the notes I take in class. I can’t remember the first rhyme, but I do remember my first song I ever wrote, still unreleased haha, but it was talking about love and how it can either change your world for the better or worse.

8)            The track “Billy’s Conscious” was a true story about a person with an illness. That took a lot of courage to make a track like that. Did you expect the song to go worldwide?
SulleeJ: I didn’t expect nothing at first besides it helping the family to cope and just showing that people out there do care and pray for others wellness, even if they don’t know each other. The song, stirred up a great relationship with me ending up flying out there, staying with the family, seeing Billy in the hospital, and still til’ today, I am close with his wife and daughter. I had no clue it would reach such acclaim, although we were all happy when it did, because even though we couldn’t reach the amount of funds we needed at the time being, we definitely touched a lot of people’s hearts, showing them there is no discrimination when it comes to true believers and pure hearts. They saw two different people come together, black/white-Muslim/Christian and do good deeds without any sort of motive. There was a greater purpose in all of this. There are a lot of people out there who I want to help. I just wish I had all the means for it. In the meantime, I’ll do what I can to my best effort.

9)            You met Billy’s family in Oklahoma. How was that experience meeting his family?
Sullee J: Some of the most humble people I’ve ever met. We have different lives, and busy schedules, but we know whenever any of us needs each other, we are only one call away. I am always down to do what I can for them if they ever need. Nikki and Londyn, I love you guys!

10)         You opened for many artists such as DJ Drama, DMX, Maino and Travis Porter to name a few. What is your stage performance like?
Sullee J: I feel amazing. I jump off the crowd’s energy really. Still I make sure to keep active and not look like a fool at the same time hah. I have a show coming up in Chicago, May 25th, hosted by Chella Chicago and Qush Beatz. Fans can stay tuned for that.

11)         Music and writing are therapy for most artists. What motivates you to do the kind of music you do?
Sullee J: Being different helps making a difference. My lyrics are not only meant to help myself cope, but to teach. When I first started writing music, and I gained a few fans, they told me “I actually learned something”. That struck a nerve, and I never realized it til then the power of the voice. Before I die, I want to change as many hearts I can for the better, give as much inspiration, and be a sign of hope for people. Music is my therapy, but mostly I want my listeners to feel it as if what they hear is somewhat of a therapy for them too.

12)         Urban Teen Magazine recently interviewed you. That must be amazing for a teen magazine to interview you.
Sullee J: Peace to Sandra for that. Urban Teen Magazine has always supported “Sullee J”, and it was a great interview. Look out for the feature they will be posting on me soon in the magazine. All of this is a blessing, and I am more than grateful for it.

13)         Describe your writing process when introduced to the beat.
Sullee J: It depends; sometimes the beat can hit me so hard, where I can write a whole song before it’s even over in my head. Other times, I’ll have the beat playing and it all starts with one line. Once I get one bar, that’s how I determine the topic and it’s a go from there. I have so many songs lying around that I haven’t even recorded; it’s like never ending thoughts in my mind. 

14)         Name five artists and producers you will like to work with in the future.
Sullee J: Artist: Nas, Eminem, Mos Def, Redman, J. Cole
                Producers:
DJ Premier, Araab Muzik, Alchemist, Timbaland, RZA

15)         Your first album “The Consequence” opened doors toward your career. Did you expect your career to take off at the time?
Sullee J: At that time, I had so much to learn, with the art of delivery, tones, bending words, etc. I was doing it because that was my first project, I had just started rapping, and it felt so good to record and then I hear it for myself. I didn’t expect it to get me nowhere. I just wanted something in my hand to call it mine. A track from that tape called ‘BismiAllah” was the first to ever hit radio. It was funny how that happened because at the time, 93.9 WKYS, DC’s hottest hip hop station was having a promo for unsigned artist, and I kid you not I stayed up almost 7 days with as minimum sleep I could get and e-mailed the station over maybe few thousand times. The funny part was, I sent them a song called “How Much Longer” maybe 99% of the e-mails, and sent “BismiAllah” which translates into “In the name of God”, and that’s the one that somehow won and got played. It was such a crazy feeling, having people who never even met me hitting me up saying “Yo, Sullee you’re on the radio!!” and because of that track and how it happened, it gave me so much faith In myself, and almost like a sign from God that this was meant for me.

16)         Are you coming out with a second album and if so how much of the project is done?
Sullee J: Right now we are releasing “The Vicegerent” a project with several known artist such as Royce Da 5’9, Kuniva of D12, Cashis, Canibus, Diabolic, and more. It is a double disc, compilation of 30 tracks put together, from every style you can imagine. It is one of my biggest projects, which hopefully sets a new level for me in the people’s eyes. I put so much time and effort into this project; I pray it takes me to the next step. After this is out, we will start working on a new album/tour etc. 

17)         What can fans expect from Sullee J in the next five years?
Sullee J: I will be everywhere. I want to be that artist that not only goes around the world to tour, but is going around helping shelters, mosques, churches, temples, everything. I want to travel and change lives. I would like to be the light for the world. I am just awaiting my time, although I am promised in my heart for this purpose.

18)         Any other projects coming out from Sullee J in 2013?
Sullee J: Devil Inside Music Video, which is something we recorded in Michigan on a frozen lake. It will be out around Halloween. There are quite a few projects, very big, surreal projects I would never imagine coming out, I just am being quiet about it.

19)         Where can peeps get at you for music and collaborations?
Sullee J: I wish you all the best big homie! They can find me at the links below; I interact with all my fans, so feel free to shoot me a message!

www.facebook.com/officialsulleej

www.officialsulleej.com

www.soundcloud.com/sulleej

www.youtube.com/xxsulleexx

www.twitter.com/sulleej85

Go check out the new video “Free World” from Sullee J. The video is serious, give the track a listen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment