Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Interview with O.C.


Interview with O.C.
90’s rappers have build their path towards the realms of hip hop but few of them are resurfacing with stellar music. This includes Bushwick Brooklyn’s finest O.C. aka the chosen one putting out classic albums since 94. With back to back classic albums Word…Life and Jewelz to the highly impressive Trophies, O.C. delivers with sharp wordplay over superior production. O.C. joins Intrigued as he speaks about working with Apollo Brown, the 90’s era and how he got started.

1)            That’s what it is man. O.C. blessed his presence in the building. What have you been up to these days?
Peace TY jus chillin, workin, tryin ta stay busy is all.

2)            For those who don’t know who you are, tell us how you got started?
In a nut shell I was featured on the debut album of Organized Konfusion Self-Titled "Organized Konfusion" in 1991.

3)            In retrospect, you were first put on with Organized Konfusion “Fudge Pudge” and then went under the wing with MC Serch. How those experiences made you as an artist?
They taught me a bit about the music biz early on sort of a pre-tutorial on the game at that time, going on tour with Prince & Pharoahe The 1st ever source tour actually was an opportunity to me Serch plus I was unsigned so it was destiny for me now that I look back on the situation.

4)            One of the interludes on the “Word…Life” album you used first, Jay-Z used for P.S.A. Any regrets on rhyming over that sample?
Nah no regrets not rhymin' on that join.t I actually picked da sample n Buck hooked it up. It was a dope interlude but as individuals we hear music different as artists don’t know if I would've bodied that joint like Hov did all I can chalk it up to is a-alikes think a-like u feel me.

5)            Your first two albums “Word…Life” and “Jewelz” were hip hop classics consecutively. Many artists lose the momentum after their first single or first album. How did you not lose the momentum and fizzle in an ongoing change genre?
These R experiences that either myself or someone I know dealt with whether it was good or bad life or death so life experiences aren't hard to talk about. The hard part is translating it into song form. You can never go wrong with talking about things ppl can relate to. Hence keeping that momentum throughout the years whether ppl love or dislike what you bring over time is just a part of the game. I always stress in interviews that it’s no such thing as falling off & making a comeback, you either still on point or you’re not period, it’s just not my time to throw in the towel yet..lol ya know!?!

6)            Any artist you haven’t worked with, you would like to work with.
For me it’s about having a chemistry with the person you work with that's what matter's for me not the name behind the artist so whoever the mash up works with ,Dope! Not the sake of having a guest for the attraction but I think me n AZ would do an INCREDIBLE LP! 2gether but that's just a wish list of mine.

7)            I had a vision with you working with Nas over either a Premiere or a Show beat since you both came under MC Serch and you both had great wordplay.
That for me is like putting Kane and Rakim together for a joint.  It'll never happen it'll be dope I'm sure though.. Big Up to" Life Is Good" tht's grown-up Hip Hop right there! Along with "Trophies"

8)            You worked with producer Buckwild primarily on the first three albums, what’s up with him?
Buck is still working he's actually has a joint on "Life is Good" he stays in the loop yr after yr.

9)            How did you get an album deal with Hieroglyphics Imperium for the Smoke and Mirrors album?
I actually was just working on songs for that record maybe a year b4 they step to me about doing a situation over there "BIG UP'S TO MY WEST COAST FAM HIERO"

10)         What album stood out to you the most out of your catalog: Word…Life, Jewelz, Bon Appetit, Smoke and Mirrors or Trophies?
For me Bon Appetit' was my transition process. It was a misunderstood record & from my point of view, I felt the die-hard listeners of my music thought I was abandoning them. The thing about people not all but a majority of them want you to keep re-creating your 1st record over and over and what they don't understand is that’s impossible to do. People have to give artists the chance to try different things, I love the trophies joint but I’ve travelled that chamber b4 u feel me so it was easy for me when the music was put in front of me.

11)         I noticed there is always a deep profound meaning behind majority of your album titles especially “Trophies”. What’s the concept meaning behind Trophies? 
The science behind it was OJ Simpson believe it or not. He was found not guilty of murder but they pursued him and in a nutshell he went to prison over His Heisman Statue which set a precedent for him to have a football career, movie career, endorsements becoming rich hence the title "Trophies" they all but snatched his life from him. Its more underlying thoughts behind it, people just have to use their wits.

12)         How was it working with Apollo Brown and what was the chemistry process on the album “Trophies”
It was easy, quick and a pleasure to work with Apollo. I can imagine for him it was the fastest he'd ever work with in the studio I basically knocked out the album in 6 to 8 hrs, straight off the flight from NY to Detroit, dogs took me to get some grub we ate and from there made a stop at his crib then straight to the lab. I told him I’m a knock out like 8 to 10 joints and he didn't believe it, I believe I ended up knocking out like 13 or 14.

13)         What was your favorite song on the “Trophies” album?
NAUTICA is my joint I actually wrote that on the day of Hurricane Irene that’s where the concept came from & Apollo named it that later on also Signs is touching on some shit if you listen to the verses them to rite now but it switches from month to month on favs.

14)         Were there any differences between working with Apollo Brown and other producers you have worked with in the past?
The only differences are the eras but not knowing anything about Apollo you would swear he was a 70's baby and he's not, doggie is the truth when it comes to what he does, period.

15)         The chemistry between you and Apollo Brown is similar to you and Buckwild in the 1990’s. Are there any similarities?
Not really the same at all the approach to the music between the 2 is in the same vein but I’ve been 'round Buck & Apollo and they're approaches are totally different on making music.

16)         I noticed there were no guest appearances and Apollo Brown produced “Trophies”. You don’t see a lot of artists put out albums with only one or two producers and either one or a few guest appearances. What is it about hip hop albums that have a lot of guest appearances and producers?
Dudes can't carry an album by themselves bottom line, one or two guest 3 if it just feels right but 5,6,7 etc is just ridiculous to me I wanna hear dudes rock out or I just won't pay attention. I always & will be a fan of the art first that's how I came into the game studying the one's b4 me as a fan.

17)         Truthfully, I prefer an album like “Trophies”. Not knocking other people’s hustle but albums nowadays feel more like compilations.
It’s not a feel more like catch 22 they are compilations u have to call it how u see it Ty. That’s what it is you’re not the only one who feels that way.

18)         What was one of your memorable on tour experiences?
Being on the road doing any D.I.T.C runs...as individuals we ill as hell but on some thundercat shit we compatible To platinum groups on stage shows be packed in where people have to get turned away overseas its krazii, A.G. is heading out with me on this run with my peoples Vinnie Paz ,ILL Bill & Pharoahe & Dj Boogie Blind of the X'ecutioner's. That’s gonna b bananas!!!

19)         As a hip hop legend, why do you think fans especially new fans find it difficult to embrace veteran rappers? Other genres showed love to veteran musicians.
You would have to take a poll or hold a panel with the young'uns and ask them, man they caught up in the superficial stuff and 90's kats have to take some fault in that & corporations are making a ton a bread off of the bullshyt some of these kids promote. It’s sad, I always tell kats I pray ya'll make it to my age not look to get a chain n a whip some racks to show off and be buried by 30, matter fact 25, they not making it past 27..

20)         Mannie Fresh made a comment about lack of diversity and missing that east coast or west coast sound. What are your thoughts about most rappers trying to sound like the south and making majority of their music about the club?
That’s the machine press'n these dude, more or less. If it ain't geared towards the destruction of our own they not wit it, they don't want food fo' thought being fed to our listener especially they're kids then they wouldn't have a hold on the game. Matter of fact they didn't like the music in the 80's and they still don't to this day but this rap shit generates a ton of bread so that’s all that counts to these suits.

21)         As an artist, do you prefer working in the studio with the producer or emailing beats and rhymes back and forth?
I prefer working in the lab but times are different I can't front depending on the circumstances I do the email thing sometimes not often but in certain cases, if a producer reaches out to me for work I make sure I can vibe with the music. If I can then I make sure his or her bizness is correct and I'm properly compensated when all is well I hit up HQ'terz and put in 200% as if it was my own project so the client is satisfied u feel me.

22)         Reflecting on Big L. do you think his career would have taking to newer heights if he was alive?
I assume it would but we'll never know bruh I used to wish and this might sound a lil krazii but if L was incarcerated at least he had a chance of comin home. I'd look fwd to him givin the state time as oppose to being cut down b4 his time u feel me...

23)         You mentioned on a youtube clip that a lot of 90’s artists are not putting out good albums and you’re trying to break that stereotype. What is it about music from 90’s artists that people shy away from?
They're Age ... it’s the go to the club when we we're younger affect in reverse now ...we tried getting into clubs when we we're minors but as we get older we wanna still move like how we did in our 20's,early 30's some of us refuse to embrace being elders.. Think about it all that affects your creative process in whatever your doing.

24)         I agree with you because so far Nas and Sean Price are the only 90’s artists that put out a stellar album this year.
Can't forget that Apollo Brown & OC Trophies...lmao

25)         What do you think about hip hop nowadays?
I like some stuff other shyt is like interchangable parts on a transformer action figure..

26)         Self-promotion is the new hustle now since a lot of record labels are reluctant to invest money on an artist. It’s like you have to work extra hard to get their attention.
If we had the internet highway early on in my career I'd be a billionaire!!! lolololol

27)         For any up and coming artists, how important of having control of your music career?
Maintain your integrity, respect goes a long way in this game that’s why I'm still round 18 years later, hate or love me my name is still in ppl's minds.

28)         Any new artists you are feeling right now.
I'm champion'n Tashane & Gage some new ditc kats & Roc Marc right now I wanna see them on top...

29)         Are the fans going to see another D.I.T.C album?
Hopefully sooner than never...

30)         Will we see another Apollo Brown/O.C. album in the future?
I would hope so..

31)         Any new projects coming out for O.C.?
A Dj Premier Bumpy Knuckles OC project is in the chamber of course ditc affiliated stuff my motto is quality over quantity.

32)         It’s a pleasure interviewing you O.C. where headz can get at you for music?
Thx fo reachin out playboy ...Peace n Blessing's. Facebook @ OCDITC Twitter @ thereal_ocizzle

No comments:

Post a Comment