Sunday, November 25, 2012

Interview with Knon Sense


Interview with Knon Sense

1)            What it is. Intrigued in the building, joining me is my dude Knon Sense.  So what’s good with you these days?
Chillin, living life one day at a time.

2)            For those who don’t know, tell us where you’re from and how you got started?
I'm from the Philadelphia area, been here all my life. Got started in high school with a set of turntables then moved onto beats, recording and writing.

3)            Philadelphia is historic on the hip hop scene with artists like Steady B, Cool C, Gillie the Kid, Major Figgas, Philly’s Most Wanted, the Youngstas. Is there a distinctive sound in Philly that no other state has? 
I would say there are a few types of "sounds" from Philly. Gangsta street shit (gillie, meek mill, freeway, beans), real hip hop type shit (the roots, last emperor), underground shit like (jedi mind tricks, ATOP). You can find all different types of sound we are a melting pot of a city.

4)            What separates your style from many other artists?
My style is different for a few reasons. Number one reason, I have a very unique sounding voice. I also try to touch on a variety of topics while simply having fun.

5)            What made you decide to say to yourself, music is within me, I want to do this?
There was never a day I sat and just said I want to do this. It just kinda happened. My dad was in many bands so I guess it was instilled in me. Artists and friends I worked with also helped me believe in myself.

6)            What are the advantages of becoming an emcee/producer?
The advantage is you have as many beats as you can personally. I never have a shortage of beats. It also gives you a better advantage at song structure and different flows.

7)            Has becoming an emcee/producer brings out the best out of your work ethic?
It actually makes you have more work to do because you doing twice the work. Plus I record and mix everything so sometimes I just feel like doing one thing but it's not really possible.

8)            What’s the difference between your debut album “Know Knonsense” and “A Sense of Urgency”?
The debut took a long time to make. More like do a song here and there in my spare time it’s a lot more amateurish to me. It's me finding myself as an MC and artist. A Sense of Urgency is more growth, experimenting and planning. I tried to make a more complete album. Also the level of beats and rhymes are at a higher caliber.

9)            Your latest project was “A Sense of Urgency”. I’m feeling the album cover. What is the concept of the album and does that describe your everyday hustle as an artist?
It's a very loose concept of just "time is running out". "Let’s take it to the next level." Also kind of feeling like the wack shit is taking over the world, we need more genuine artists.

10)         There were a lot of concrete variables on the “A Sense of Urgency” with so many meanings. Describe the writing process with the album.
The writing process was mostly done alone in my home studio. Some songs took a few hours to write. Others took multiple days, weeks. Whatever feeling came to me when hearing the beat is what I tried to convey within the lyrics.

11)         I noticed that you produced majority of your tracks on both albums. Do you feel comfortable producing your album, constructing an album with you and a few producers or having the album spread out with different producers?
I like to keep a similar sound within an album. Too many producers make it sound like a bunch of songs and not an album. I plan on doing a few projects with just one producer including one with all my own production.

12)          “Keep Your Mind Open” featuring Fess Gotchu and Reece Surreal is a deep track. How that track was constructed?
I found the sample and made the beat. The concept was based upon the sampled hook. All the verses were written and record separately do to timing issues. Everyone did there thing on that track speaking on the sheep of society.

13)         You worked with Juan Lobo and Reece Surreal on the boards. Have Juan Lobo and Reece Surreal beats also bring the best out of you in the booth?
As a producer you get tired of rhyming on your own beats. You need a different sound. They both have crazy styles and they are both easy to work with as far as making changing and what not. Reece is my brother from another mother and lives down the street so whatever I need he got and vice versa. Juan is all the way in Switzerland but he's so dedicated he came all the way to Philly for music! A lot of people have hot beats but don't send the files or make the changes needed and I don't have time for delays. I will never beg anyone for beats; I can just use my own.

14)         You also worked with Fess Gotchu on many tracks, describe the music chemistry with Fess Gotchu?
Fess is straight energy. He brings out the best in artists, as his name says he Gotchu. Very high work ethic. He is non-stop. Good dude.

15)         Take us to a Knon Sense studio session. Do you sample, play instruments or both?
I would say about 90% sample, but I also add synths and bass lines on top and I’ll occasionally compose a beat 100%. I can't play any instrument or read music; I just know what sound I like.

16)         On the production tip, what do you look for in an artist?
I look for the total package. Flow, lyrics and work ethic are the top for me. You also need to be different than the norm in some way, shape or form.

17)         What new artists are you feeling right now?
As far as outside my camp I like Black Hippy with Ab-Soul being my fav. Action Bronson got some shit. Yelawolf. I honestly don't play a lot of new artists. It takes me awhile to catch on to people.

18)         Who from Philly we have to look out for right now?
Reece Surreal first and foremost. Fess Gotchu of course. Mighty Ravage. As far as artists not directly affiliated with me Rich Quick from Jersey, I did a beat for him, plan on doing more. Jakk Frost does his thing did a track for him awhile back. It's a bunch of people, Philly has a fuck load of talent.

19)         Where do you see the direction of the music going?
Music is definably getting more pop and synth based. EDM is being used in a lot of music which is ok with me. I think there is also a slow reassurance of real life music. Everyone is rich and popping bottles or selling drugs. I don't really care; a good song is a good song no matter pop or underground or in between.

20)         The game has constantly changing. What keeps you motivated to continue doing music?
Life is the number one motivation. I'm not really concerned too much of what's currently happening in music in relation to my music but I pay attention and I’m sure there's some influence in there. Old music is timeless to me. Samples motivated me to make beats.

21)         Do you have any new projects you’re currently working on?
I got a bunch of projects I'm slowly working on. We just put out Reece Surreal's "The Magenta Moon" I did production and feature on that. I should drop Toon Musik Vol. 2 shortly, that's my instrumental album of cartoon theme song recreations. I'm thinking about putting out a free project of various leftover tracks I have recorded along with a few new ones. I have an album produced entirely by Juan Lobo which will be called "Knostalgia" look for that next year. Another currently untitled project entirely produced by Reece Surreal.

Heaven Razah has a bunch of beats I made for him for a project produced by me. Nave Noblique AKA Justin Davis has bunch of beats for a project produced by me.

22)         That’s what’s up, definitely good interviewing you. Where can headz get at you for beats or collabs?
I appreciate the interview. Some very good questions! www.knonsense.com for all my albums and beats. Beats can be purchased right through bandcamp. I'm on iTunes, Amazon, etc. Support me if you can but either way I appreciate every listen. facebook.com/knonsense or twitter.com/knonsense to get at me for any reason.

P.S. Whenever you use my name it's officially "Knonsense" with no space. I just had to do that for facebook lol. I highly appreciate the interview bro, good looking out.


No comments:

Post a Comment