Friday, January 18, 2013

Interview with Kino Beats



Interview with Kino Beats


When you hear Kino Beats, you hear the hard 808’s and crispy snares that gets the attention of an artist. Norfolk Virginia’s Kino Beats has worked with artists such as NOE, Nipsy Hustle, 40 Cal, Chingy and Souljah Boy to name a few from a list of artists on his resume. He produced a track from the Juelz Santana’s “God Will’n” mixtape. Kino Beats talks to Intrigued on how he got into production, his track on the Juelz “God Will’n” mixtape, working with upcoming artists and his plans for 2013.

Intrigued: What’s good my dude? Tell us how you started into the production game?
Kino Beats: What’s up what up pretty much I couldn’t rap, I hated my voice but I loved music so I started making beats.

Intrigued: You are the son of Jamaican parents, has their upbringing and work ethic influenced you as an artist?
Kino Beats: No Question... You ever heard of working “Like a Jamaican” That’s what I was raised on LOL.. I work just like the stereotype haha.

Intrigued: How you first got interested into production and when did you decide to take it seriously?
Kino Beats: I started making beats at 13 Years old... When I turned 15 I met a few local artist and they liked my beats and told me they will pay me for the beat. When I got my first $40 for a beat I made that decision that I want to make a career out of producing.

Intrigued: What was the first beat you ever made and who was the first artist?
Kino Beats: Locally the first beat I made was for a childhood friend that lived down the street named Profichent. As for Industry wise, my first major placement was Jim Jones artist “NOE” I produced his street single “Gladiator” and went to the video shoot It ended up on WorldStar with over 100k views.

Intrigued: You have a long list of artists on your production resume. How did you get the attention from heads outside Virginia?
Kino Beats: Utilizing the Internet and just connecting the dots in person with travelling outside of the area.

Intrigued: Virginia has some hot producers such as Timberland, Nottz, the Neptunes and Lex Luger. What is it about Virginia’s sound that is unique?
Kino Beats: This area is a heavy Military area so living here we meet people from all over the country so it gives us a chance to be familiar with so many sounds from different regions and we jus mix it up in this melting pot.

Intrigued: Describe your production sound. What makes your sound stand out and why should artists come see you for beats?
Kino Beats: I think the music speaks for itself I pride myself on making music that has a certain bounce to it that forces the listener to nod.

Intrigued: What’s the biggest challenge in your music career so far?
Kino Beats: The biggest challenge thus far has been just the politics of the game. Dealing with artist and there managers and the run arounds.

Intrigued: If an unsigned artist sends you music material, what do you look for in an artist?
Kino Beats: Flow, Delivery, Lyrics, Image but also what are they doing to promote themselves to take their career to the next level.

Intrigued: You don’t mind working with unsigned artists. How come you look for new talent although you’re an established producer and worked with well-known artists?
Kino Beats: It’s about knowing where you come from I make myself very accessible to give hope and stay relevant with the new acts breaking into the game.

Intrigued: What kinds of equipment are you’re working with?
Kino Beats: FL Studio M-Audio Oxygen Midi Controller

Intrigued: You produced a track on the new Juelz Santana “God Will’n mixtape. How did you get up with Juelz and how was it working with Juelz Santana?
Kino Beats: It’s been years and years of networking with the Skullgang camp and waiting for the right situation to present itself but after some time the stars aligned and it went down. It definitely was not an overnight process.

Intrigued: You got a mixtape out “From the Studio to the Streets” are heads receptive to the mixtape?
Kino Beats: I feel the reception was well I did that for the Streets out here in VA to give an outlet for artist in VA trying to make a name for themselves.

Intrigued: There are a lot of hungry artists from VA. What artists we have to look out for from VA?
Kino Beats: I deal with 1200 plus artist in the 757 as far as engineering and production so it is a conflict of interest for me to highlight just a select few but check out my twitter page You will see a good amount of them that are doing what they need to do to promote themselves and take their career to the next level.

Intrigued: Any artists you haven’t worked with yet you would like to work with?
Kino Beats: I would love to work with Rick Ross.

Intrigued: Which artists and producers are you’re feeling right now in hip hop?
Kino Beats: I like Juelz Santana and Kino Beats lol... I also got The Game's new CD in the changer as well as T.I.'s its too many to name I’m a fan of a lot that is going on right now.

Intrigued: What’s your favorite moment in 2012 musically?
Kino Beats: Kendrick Lamar’s album he dropped a classic..

Intrigued: What are peeps looking for from Kino Beats in 2013? What future projects you got coming out?
Kino Beats: Just stay tuned! Follow the twitter and stay in tuned with my website as everything unfolds.

Intrigued: How can peeps get at you for music collaborations and listening to your music?
Kino Beats: @KinoBeats www.kinobeats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment