Friday, October 26, 2012

Interview with Artform Rejects


Interview with Verse Essential and Artform Rejects
1)            Verse Essential in the building with Artform Rejects, YES YES, the album “Blood Written in Ink” is coming out in a few weeks. I know you guys are satisfied with the album.
Verse: Satisfaction is not even the word my dude. October 30, 2012 is when "Blood Written In Ink" will be in stores and I couldn't be happier.  This is a big accomplishment for us.  And it's far from over. Rest assured: The chaos is coming and nothing can stop Art Form Rejects. 

2)            Tell us how you guys first hook up and decide to do a whole album together.
Verse: I was searching for beats on soundcloud and I heard the beat that would later become "Takeover" from the album and I was floored. I said "I got to get this beat no matter what". So I emailed Che.sko and it's been a wrap ever since. This was originally supposed to be a 6 song EP but as we both started to make more and more tracks together, the music started taking on a life of its own. Then when Noyz came into the picture, it was game over. We had a force that can't be denied. When I finally met Che.sko face to face at the "Prototype" videoshoot in January 2012, I knew that we had to do an album together. If we would have did an EP instead, we would be shortchanging ourselves not to mention the fans and that is something Art Form Rejects doesn't stand for. We are a symbol of quality and greatness. 

3)            Tell us about the meaning of Artform Rejects, how did that name came about?
Verse: The meaning of our name comes from being rejected so much in this art form. I been a soloist since 2009 and I experienced so much rejection for so many people including close friends that thought I was not good enough to be a hip hop artist. Rejection is something everyone will experience many times in a lifetime. It's impossible to be alive without experiencing the pain of rejection. But getting past the pain is what defines you and that's the very thing that defines Art Form Rejects.

4)            The title of the album grabbed me immediately because that has a lot of meaning behind it. Explain the title of the album and what can we expect from this album?
Verse: The title defines me tapping into my dark side.  I wanted my next album to something totally left field. And believe me, the things I discuss on this album is stuff I would never do on solo Verse Essential tracks. As what someone from my past told me, this album is totally morbid.  It's bloody, crazy, dark, sick but fully entertaining. If you’re a fan of Jedi Mind Tricks, Necro, Vinnie Paz, GraveDiggaz, RZA and music of that nature, then you are going to have a ball listening to Blood Written In Ink.

5)            What it takes for you guys to say yo I want to get this project up in the gates.
Verse: For me, it was when I was writing "Angel of Death" for the album. It was some the craziest song writing I ever done. I allowed myself to let go and become total evil with my lyrics. And it was so much fun. When I recorded it, I knew from that point on that this album must get made. I'm the type of artist that must start from scratch with every project. When you do the same things with your music, your fans get bored and then you become redundant.  The bottom line is this: if you want to become a household name, you must realize that there is no such thing as comfort zone. 

6)            Of course Chesko and Noyz did the production on the album but who are the guest appearances on this?
Verse: Guest appearances are the following:
Sadat X (Brand Nubian)
Access Immortal
Jukstapose
Godilla
J-Bux
Jason Gorey
Dayz Da Empora
Fess Gotchu
Nomad
Dj Absurb
Dj Jean Maron
Dj Ronfa
Beast JvS

Much love to all of them and everybody else for their contributions to this release.

7)            Is there anything else that you would have done differently on the album?
Verse: Truth be told: No! This is an album I always wanted to do. I always have been a big fan of Horrorcore hip hop since the 90's so this album is a dream come true for me. When I go into anything knowing what I want to do and it comes out the way I wanted, there is no need for change. And that's what exactly happened with "Blood Written In Ink". 

8)            Is there a favorite track on the Blood Written in Ink album?
Verse: For me, my favorite track is "Prototype". The flame of intently that flows on that track amazes to this day. When Che.sko sent me the beat to this, all the evil in my heart came out in one tremendous blast. The word Prototype means the first of many.  It's my favorite track on the album because it gave me a chance to turn myself into a different type of substance.

9)            Noyz Beatmaker and Chezko, how did you guys meet and what made you guys to decide to work with Verse Essential?
Noyz Beatmaker : Chesko and I were part of another production team. When Chesko left the team we just got in touch with Verse. He was asking for more Chesko’s beats cuz he literally fell in love with his beats lol… So they decided to work together as Art Form Rejects. When I left the crew too I started working with Chesko… You know we both have the same way of thinking and our work ethics is pretty much the same so it came naturally… And Chesko invited me to be an Art Form Rejects goon… the rest is history…

10)         I like the tag team production duo from you guys; Chesko and Noyz, how do you work together on tracks?
Noyz Beatmaker : Most of the time we work separately: Chesko is a hardware dude and I’m a software dude… So we do our beats and submit our work to each other… Sometimes we do beats together too… its fun trying to produce in one other’s way… For example: I don’t use the MPC so when I need something for a track we make together I tell Chesko and he helps me with the machine...

11)         Verse was there any differences between working on the ingenious album and on this album?
Verse: I'm a totally different character on this album than I was on the Ingenious projects. On this album I'm the angel of death spreading chaos through music. And I had a blast doing it. When I recorded ingenious, I was much happier and feeling blessed to be making music in the first place. On this album, I just let myself go and dip into to the dark side. And I don't reject it for a second because music is all about change. You can't expect to be the same and still be dope. You have to switch the formulas in order to grow as an artist and tap into a bigger fan base.

12)         Chesko and Noyz, you are a production duo called Bars 4 the Hood. Where that name came from and who did you produced as a team with?
Noyz Beatmaker and Chesko : Let me picture that: we’re like Bumpy Johnson distributing turkeys for Christmas for the people in the hood… But we give beats… and our hood is worldwide (laugh)… Basically we do this for the love of hip hop… we don’t sell beats, we don’t do special discounts on Friday like “2 beats for the price of one”… We don’t like that… we respect people who do that but we don’t need that… Our salary is to have a dope MC doing a great track with our beats… that’s all…

13)         Describe the creative/recording process between you guys.
Verse: They make the beats, I write the songs. It's as simple as that. Chesko and Noyz gave me the green light to do whatever I wanted with their beats. As you can see, with titles like "Angel of Death", I went off the deep end. Hahaha.
That's how it is on artist/producer albums. Thank God for our Gmail accounts and Facebook or this album would have never gotten made. But things were very simple from the start and that made all the difference.

14)         How do all three of you bring the best in each other to make this project official?
Verse: Like I said on the last question's answer, I had free reign to do whatever the hell I wanted. And I did just that, take their beats to hell and back with my thoughts. I was getting bored with doing all these happy positive songs. I wanted to flip out and lose control. From day one, all three of us were on the same page with this project and this album is the result.

15)         How important is chemistry between an artist and the producer?
Verse: Extremely important. If there is no chemistry, there is no result. You can't mix a negative with a negative or a positive with a positive. The results will be disastrous.  But when you mix a negative along with a positive, you get clean kinetic energy. And that's what Art Form Rejects represents.

16)         What do you think are the key elements of making a successful album?
Verse: Ideas, creatively and a formula that will separate you from the rest. That's my mindset when I'm making music. I aim to please. No more, no less. To me, when your recording an album, you have to represent the message you’re trying to get across. You have to believe in the music that you are making because if you don't believe in your product, why should everybody else?

17)         What are your personal criteria of how a good album is once it’s finished?
Verse: It depends on how I feel once everything is done. Most of the tracks on "Blood Written in Ink" were done a while back so that gave me time to really listen to each track for what they really are. That's something I honestly didn't do after I finished recording Ingenious Deluxe Edition. I was so excited with getting it out there that I didn't really listen to some of the material on that album. I was determined that I was not going to make the same mistake twice so I took my time to get things right. That's why I sound so redefined on this album. A lot of people think that the correct way of getting your name out there is to flood the market with a ton of material. The problem with that method is you will wear yourself thin and burnout. But when you take the time and make a good album, the fans will appreciate it more. Always remember people: Less is More!

Noyz Beatmaker: You got to break your neck on more than half of the tracks… If you do so, now you know it’s a good one… You want to play the tracks again and again… you know it’s a good one… For example, I’m into Afu Ra’s Body of the life force these days and this album is crazy… It’s on heavy rotation in my car (laugh)…

18)         What was your creative direction towards making “Blood Written In Ink?”
Verse: That's a funny one. I'm recording my 2nd album now and when I got the beats from Chesko, I didn't want to write the same material similar to what I'm writing for my 2nd album. I wanted was to do something totally different.  I love Horrorcore hip hop and this was my chance to make this type of music, I jumped on it and it's be history ever since. The content on this album is nothing like anything else I ever done. It's much darker and more violent but entertaining at the same time. I don't ever want my latest project to sound like my last projects. Every album from me must have a life of its own.

19)         You guys have worked with different producers and other artists. What do you look for in a collaborator and when you listen to a new artist?
Noyz Beatmaker and Chesko : We worked with many MCs as we were part of the Soulslicers… Afu Ra chose my beat to do our Anthem… Shyheim chose Chesko’s beat to do a track… We’re working right know with my man Sparkingtin from Harlem, with The Absouljah, Spicco and Halfabrick of the Team Thoro. We got Ice Water from the Bronx working on a track. We’re down with M-Dot from Boston… he’s incredible... And we have some other plans but it’s too early to talk about those… But trust me you won’t be disappointed…

20)         What’s the one thing about the current state of hip hop that you absolutely love?
Verse: I love how diverse hip hop is today. You got nerds, thugs, intellects, and all types of people making music and they are all bringing unique energy to this music.  Back in the day, it was pretty much one trend after the other. Now the fans have choices which are good because you can support whatever movement you want without getting ridiculed over it. I look at hip hop today as one big really big bowl of fruits and vegetables with the choice of eating anything you like. Trust me, hip hop was not like that years ago. 

Noyz Beatmaker and Chesko: One of the best things is the possibility for us to work so easily with US rappers… With the internet you can do amazing connections and get bangers you wouldn’t believe…

21)         Verse, what is it like collaborating with producers from overseas and is there a difference between American producers and overseas producers?
Verse: It is fun connecting with producers overseas because they are always hungry to work with artists that want to make quality music. I can tell you now, if it wasn't for the constant love I receive from producers overseas, my music wouldn't exist. To them, it's all about the music. I get turned off fast when a producer cares more about their cash than their music.  I'm not saying money isn't important because it is but I cut off too many producers that were a pain in the ass about getting paid and their beats were straight up garbage. I'm just saying.....

22)         What do you think about hip hop nowadays?
Verse: Hip hop today has more diversity and more choices. Like I said earlier, it's a much bigger bowl of fruits and vegetables with the freedom to pick whatever you want. That's why it kills me that some fans say there is no real hip hop today but when you ask them who is their favorite rapper is, they tell you about some old fart that nobody but them gives a damn about. And in my head, I'm saying to myself that you have all these dope choices like Skyzoo, Sean Price, Vinnie Paz, myself and so many others and the rapper you choose to support is a cornball to everybody's else's eyes except yours! But what can you do.  At the end of the day, I don't care who else my fans support because as long as they are supporting me, I'm giving them my all.

23)         The state of hip hop is in chaos. Any opinions on that!
Verse: Says who?!???!!?  Let me correct you, the world is in chaos not hip hop. Hip hop today is in a beautiful state. We have so many choices and everybody's bringing a different energy to this. Some fans can be one sided at times but that something all artists have to deal with. When people tell me real hip hop is not available, I say to them yes it is but you just got to keep your ears open. I'm an artist yes but I'm still a fan and always will be a fan no matter how big my name gets. A good artist always wants to be in the know because they always want to see who else is in the same profession as them. Watching other artists make names for themselves keeps me sharp because hip hop is constantly evolving. It never stays the same.

24)         Are we going to see more projects from you guys together?
Verse: Possibly. We just have to see how this album goes. We had a blast doing it. And I learned a lot more about putting albums together. It's a tedious process. I lost count on the amount of times things didn't go right but we never gave up on this project. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. But as long as Chesko and Noyz continue to make hot beats, I'll always have ideas for great music. So time will tell is you hear more Art Form Rejects projects in the future.

25)         So what’s the next step for you guys?
Verse: I'm recording my 2nd album now and that is coming out crazy. That should be available for purchase in 2013. I'm also featured on a few new projects from other artists so you’re going to see my name pop up all over the scene.

26)         Where can headz get at ya guys to work with you or to buy your music?
Verse: You can get our music and other free stuff on verseessential.bandcamp.com. The album is also available on iTunes, Cdbaby, Amazon and a few other retail sites for purchase. You can find Art Form Rejects videos on YouTube as well. Just simply google Art Form Rejects and a ton of things will come up. This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's about to get crazier. Much love to the fans and thank you for interviewing us.

Noyz Beatmaker and Chesko: We got our official blog barz4thehood.blogspot.com/ where you can find all about our actuality… We’re also on twitter @NoyZBeatmaker @Cheskobeatmaker and Facebook…

No comments:

Post a Comment