Saturday, October 6, 2012

Interview with J.D. Nero


Interview with J.D. Nero
Brooklyn’s MC J.D. Nero breaths hip hop through his veins.  With hip hop on the stand still, J.D. Nero versatility will catch the listener from the club joints to the more profound tracks that makes you think critically. His “No Shades of Grey” exposes his versatility and packaged him to a well-rounded artist. You don’t have to be an old school or a new hip hop listener to know his music. As he hits you with knowledge, J.D.Nero explains about his music career, his viewpoints on life and his latest projects.

1)            What it is, it’s a pleasure interviewing you J.D. Nero? What have you been up to these days?
Working, being the best dad I can be and staying positive.

2)            Your album “No Shades of Gray” came out last year. What was the message behind the album?
The goal was to show my versatility as an artist. The idea was that by the time u heard the last song your opinion of me would be clear. There would be "No Shades of Gray".

3)            You were part of the group Empire Nation. Any reason why you parted ways with the group?
2 reasons
A) I felt that I needed to focus more on my own music at the moment.
B) I felt the route I was going to go with my music would clash with what E.N. was doing.

4)            Will there be new music with you and the group?
I'm always down to collab with them. There is no hate or disdain on my end. In fact, both Dayz Da Empora & Access Immortal are featured on my upcoming Mix-tape.

5)            Who are your musical influences?
It changes from time to time. Right now I'd have to say Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Jay-Z, Slick Rick, Kanye West and J. Cole.

6)            What made you stand out from other hip hop artists?
Well I guess that's all about perspective. I make all kinds of music so it really depends what you've heard from my catalog. I can say this; you can compare me to many others, but J.D. is identical to no one.

7)            What do you think about hip hop these days?
I think the quality of music is slowly rising. I also think it's great that there are so many opportunities for artists nowadays. 10 years ago there weren't as many opportunities. 

8)            What was the concept between TSA blues?
Well I mentioned the Full Body Scanners on my song "American Way" but I felt like that wasn't enough. I felt that more people needed to know what the TSA was doing to people. So I used news clips and testimonies to show people exactly how crazy the situation really was. It's sad that Senator Ron Paul was the only official fighting to help the people.

9)            You got the “Pockets Full of Lint” out on youtube. I’m speculating that the blank screen of the whole video is the theme of the track.
It's not a blank screen. It's pretty much a themed slide show. The point is to show ppl just how broke we are. That and b a bit sarcastic Hahahahahaha 

10)         Do you think fans are receptive to your music?
Those who are listening have been receptive and given great feedback. Getting constructive criticism from your listeners is a key part as an artist.

11)         How important is reaching many fans as possible with your message?
In my opinion it's very important. My goal is to reach as many people as possible.  I've been taking baby steps forward to make that happen. Progress is key in my opinion.

12)         What makes you motivated and passionate to create the type of music that you’re making?
One, I love hip hop & I'm glad I can b apart of it. Two, I feel like people need more music that they can actually relate to. I use my creativity to keep people entertained while I use a slew of different flows to deliver my thoughts and stories to fans. 

13)         Lupe Fiasco called out comedian D.L. Hughley and challenged him to put some money up for the hood and his own money. Do you co-sign with Lupe and how come a small amount of rappers voluntarily give back to the hood?
I don't know the enough about the Lupe vs D.L.H. situation to comment. I don't know why ppl don't give back to their communities. I guess everyone has different perspectives on things. 

14)         I interviewed Block McCloud about the old psychology term “classic conditioning” and about desensitizing. Do you also see that in music and life in general?
Yes! Conditioning is all over. Mass media thrives on it! Everything from radio playlists to TV commercials. It's sad how blind people are. Some people are so well programmed that they don't know they're in the Matrix.

15)         I believe in a balance of hip hop. Fans can listen to club and party music as well as storytelling and promoting positivity. You had artists like Public Enemy, Poor Righteous Teachers and X-Clan in the early 90’s as well as Dead Prez in the late 90’s/early 2000’s and recently Lupe Fiasco. Why do you think artists that speak about positivity, building self-esteem and cultural awareness are either invisible or marginalized?
Any time that you go against "the machine", "the norm" or "what's in" you're going to have resistance. That's why Drake said "in this game you only lose when you fight back". I expect resistance. That's ok as long as they expect us.

16)         What advice would you give artists that want to go to the political/socio-conscious rap route?
My advice to every artist is make music that you can be proud of. Period! I speak about everything that's on my mind. I'm proud of the products I've put out & that’s how it should be.

17)         Many fans embrace the booty shaking club music and denounce the positive side of hip hop music. As a columnist, interviewer and journalist, I also get ridiculed. Do you think some fans are ignorant to change? What is your outtake on it?
Life is about balance. That's why I talk about so many different topics in my music. However it's all about approach. As the famous quote says "People fear what they don't understand". So you have to do things in a way that anyone can understand.

18)         Do you think the advancement of technology is a distraction to the average person to change the American structure?
No. Technology is no different than any other creation. It's all about how you use it. Everything has its good and bad side. 

19)         Do you have a solo album coming out in the works?
I have a solo mix-tape coming out November 5th. It's called "Expect Us". Several songs off the project are on my YouTube channel. 

20)         Who are the guest appearances and producers in the new album?
Krystal Ann and Crystal Eyez make their recording day-view on this project. They are two very talented young ladies. Also as I already mentioned Dayz & Access are on the project. My boy Vashelite also drops a 16 on the project. There's a bunch of producers on the project. I'll let you guys wait and see. 

21)         What is it like working with Dayz Da Empora?
It's always fun. We go way back! He's like a brother to me. He helped me a lot early in my career. On a song called "I'm Just Trying" from my first project (Food 4 Thought) I shout him out and thank him. He's a dope artist and a good friend. 

22)         No one has to guts to bring this issue up so I’m gonna spit it out. Many journalists, musicians, radio talk show hosts and many media outlets are intimidated to speak their minds in fear or reprimanded. What is the fear behind talking truth?
The truth hurts. The truth can show you many things. Truth holds no secrets. People who speak truth are dangerous to anyone who is lying. As I say on one of my new songs "Spit pure truth so I'm nothing like a Pastor".

23)         Describe the sheep mentality of the average person?
Sheep follow shepherds. People with the sheep mentality follow what they are told to do. They have no mind for themselves. They eat what they are told to eat. They wear what they are told is in. They like the music the radio tells them to like. They only see what the shepherd tells them to see. Muslims believe that 85% of the world made of people with the Sheep mentality. I'm not Muslim but I think that's pretty on point; & that's sad.

24)         What’s next for J.D. Nero?
The "Expect Us" project drops November 5th. I just dropped a new joint called "Love Drug". There's already a video in the works for that. Right now I'm just on the grind. 

25)         Where heads can get at you for your music?
@jdnero on Twitter
4 more J.D. Nero:
@JDNero (Twitter)

1 comment:

  1. J. D Nero is on definitely on point when it comes to the sheep mentality. Too many are followers instead of being themselves. Great interview!!

    ReplyDelete