Monday, September 24, 2012

Interview with Josh Bliss Lighten


Interview with Josh Bliss Lighten
1)            What’s going on Josh? What you have been up to these days?
 Just trying to make good music! Just released an EP "Louisiana Born Hip Hop Raised"

2)            For those who don’t know, how did you come up with the name Josh Bliss Lighten?
I use to go by bliss a few years ago but there were too many other artists named bliss so I just added my real name on top of it.

3)            What made you decide to start rapping?
My homie had a cassette tape recorder when I was a kid. We just started playing around rapping, making songs. It was just history after that.

4)            You originally from Louisiana, what made you decide to move to Bean town?
Just to have a different life/music experience. There’s more opportunity here than where I'm from.

5)            Has being from Louisiana influenced your music?
Of course southern hip hop/rap music is my roots.

6)            You have a different sound than most southern MC’s. What separates you from other rappers?
I suppose because I actually have subject in my music. I'm not just talking about women, clothes, money and cars in all my songs. Like most cliché southern artists are known for.

7)            You call yourself a nerd/hip hop artist. Does that personality describe who you are?
Yeah, pretty much. I've always been a tech nerd. All my friends always come to me with their technical problems lol.

8)            How would you describe your music?
I would say a down south east coast mesh. I just do music from my heart. It's hard to describe it lol.

9)            Talk to us about Nerd Muzik?
Nerd muzik is just music that makes you think. Not about dumbing it down for the main stream. Being a nerd is cool you don't have to be a gangsta. 

10)         How did you hook up with Aperiod and Main Aim?
 Aperiod saw a couple of my videos I guess and he liked my music. We talked, met up and clicked and it’s been like brotherly bond since then.

11)         Talk to us about the Louisiana born, hip hop raised mixtape?
This was the first actual project I did that I made the kinda music I like 100% on it. I have 2 other cds out and I was making main stream stuff in hopes of getting recognized ya know? On this one I just did me and I feel it’s the best project I've done and will be hard to top.

12)         What do we expect from the mixtape?
A lot of chill vibes maybe smoke something to it if that’s what you do lol. Def a lot of positive messages but I don't go overboard with positivity like Will Smith or something. Not corny at all I keep it real too. Just giving my aspect of my life what I go or I am going though. There's something for everyone.

13)         Who are the guest appearances and the producers on the mixtape?
I've got songs with some cool dope dudes like Louie Gonz and BackSeat Trav(both from Worcester, Ma) and my homie Mista T from my hometown in Louisiana. I had very few collabs on this one because I wanted to show what I had to offer to the music game and what I was capable of.

14)         What was the concept behind the EBK track?
Just tired of hearing rappers talking about killing this guy and that guy like it’s cool. 99% of them will never kill anyone they just say it because it’s the cool thing to do.

15)         Who were your musical influences?
Goodie Mob, Outkast, Big L, Tupac, Biggie, Kanye West, UGK, Scarface, No Limit Records, The Roots, Mos Def, Talib, Common and a lot more lol. Hard to think of them all right now! Because of the internet I was able to access a lot of east coast music. That’s where a lot of my style comes from.

16)         I’ve been a big fan of southern hip hop music since the 90’s when UGK, Scarface and EIghtball & MJG to name a few. What’s the difference in hip hop down south between 20 years ago and now?
 I don't think much as changed. I mean they still make gangsta music and club music. I don't see much of a difference. There are a few individuals like myself pushing the envelope making stuff different than what southern artists are known for.

17)         Do you think the bling bling phrase is overrated?
Bling is so commercial now lol you see it all on TV infomercials for clothes and accessories. It is what it is though. Doesn't bother me any!

18)         If the situation is right, would you sign with a major label or you going to stay independent?  
Yeah I would sign to a major.

19)         Take us to a Josh Bliss Lighten session.
Gotta have my iPhone that’s what I write my lyrics in most of the time. A pack of ciggs I know it’s a bad habit I'm trying to quit. Maybe some beer to drink depending on whose studio I'm at. Good people around me to bring inspiration and some dope beats of course! Then let the process begin.

20)         Is there any artist that you haven’t worked with, you would like to work with?
 I'd like to work with Big Krit, Curren$y, Kendrick Lamar and Ab-Soul.

21)         You also play a role outside of music. What made you decide to go into directing and editing your own videos?
I try to cut the middle man out of everything to save money. I have my own studio mix/master myself. Just decided instead of paying someone 500-1k for a video I'll try to do it myself. So I bought a camera and started working. You can tell from my older videos to my newer ones I'm getting a lot better. Plus it puts a little extra cash in my pocket.

22)         Are you going to branch out to do something outside of hip hop besides videos?
I'm not sure at the moment just taking it day by day but I'm enjoying learning the video stuff as I go.

23)         What do you think are the key elements to success?
Work hard be true to yourself and others. Stay humble and always invest in your music don’t be cheap.

24)         What’s next for Josh Bliss Lighten?
I will never know just wake up in the morning thank god and do what I have to do to survive in this crazy world.

25)         Is there going to be a Josh Bliss Lighten album in the works?
Maybe soon I'm about 3 tracks into a next project not sure where I'm headed with it yet though.

26)         Where do headz get at your music?
 My website www.nerdlivin.com and youtube videos just search Josh Bliss Lighten.

27)         Any shoutouts!
Yeah my girl for always supporting me, Scrap-A-Don, Hympdok, FaLow, Rad Boy Slim, APeriod, Haze, the whole main aim crew. Louie Gonz, BackSeat Trav, Mista T, Rhyme U, Dj Manipulator, Mr Mck & Smalls The Hustler.

No comments:

Post a Comment