Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Interview with Aye Wun


Interview with Aye Wun
Filipino’s finest Aye Wun stepped through the scene with sharp witty rhymes and storytelling wordplay that keeps the listener’s ear ringing. With an edgy sharp flow, Queens bred Illipino Aye Wun stops by to discuss about the forthcoming mixtape “Sparks Steakhouse” and how he puts that extra grind in the game.

1)            Aye Wun in the building. State where you rest your head at?
On the Queens side of things!

2)            For the ones that don’t know, who is Aye Wun?
Funny you ask that I got a lil blog with the "who's Aye Wun" theme (http://t.co/FewrLz38) ..But yeah I’m just a dude hunting my dream down and refusing to live in society as a robot, and this dream of mine just happens to be rap music.

3)            Could you discuss your journey to the hip hop scene and how you got hooked up with Stewrat?
Let’s see. Since i was a young Lad, I always been into hip hop from rap to graff on the streets. I have been introduced as early as 5 or 6 years old, so in my eyes that’s when my journey began. I started fuckin around writing lil rhymes here and there when I was about 10 or 11 just to make my classmates laugh. As I kept progressing I realized that I really had a gift for it and made me think like "oh shit I can really do this". I hooked up with Stewrat through my peoples Vs Stylez and Treazy, big shout out to them, word up. I kept hearing how he was crazy with the production so I hit em for some beats, and sun threw me like 10 joints at once. He a cool ass dude!

4)            When did you realize that you want to get in the booth and pursue rap seriously?
I realized it real young, I was like 14. I saved up some paperoni, hit up guitar center and was like "fuck it, I’ma  record myself". I seen it as an investment at the time, plus i a’int know anybody that had a studio back then. I knew it was time to record when I realized that I could actually write songs and knew how to format them. Also, a lot of older heads was telling me I had something in me and that I should never stop rapping, so that always stuck with me till this day. Word!

5)            I’m digging the name N.O.R.E called you in the chorus “the Illipino”. How did the track Rigamortis featuring N.O.R.E came about?
For the record, I originated the title "Illipino" haha word up. I never really used it on a song though; I just had it on my twitter bio shit. When it was time to record N.O.R.E.'s part for Rigamortis and he spit the hook for the first time, I was like "wow that’s hot he used the Illipino shit". But yeah man, that joint came about through the graces of my good friend Butchrock, who happens to be N.O.R.E.'s DJ. From what I know, Butchrock played N.O.R.E. A couple of my songs and N.O was open and the rest is history.

6)            How was it working with Tony Heathcliff?
Shout out to Tony Heathcliff, that’s a good guy right there. Legend has it that Butchrock amped Heathcliff and got him mad, which led to the creation of the Rigamortis beat. When he hit Butch phone tellin him he sent the beat thru, we played that shit and both had the sourpatch warhead faces on once when we heard it.

7)            You worked with N.O.R.E and Tony Heathcliff. What have you learned through that experience?
Working with them I’ve learned a whole lot man just by being around acting like a sponge. I learned that the grind don’t stop and patience is a major factor in this game we play. I won't reveal too much cause I’m still learning as we speak. I’m a 'student of the game' like N.O.R.E.'s upcoming album dropping soon go get that it’s gonna be crispy waffles.

8)            The Filipino Anthem is tough. Much love to DJ Butch Rock, how you guys got up?
Thank you homey. Super shout out to Butchrock man. Me and him got up through some good mutual friends, real good brothers man (big shoutout to Gob Goblin, Lord Zerto, and Spent D'nero). We met at Goblin Music Studios in L.I.C (holla at me or them for good studio time rates). That’s like my 2nd home right there. From there it was just on.

9)            Take us to an Aye Wun writing process and studio session. Do you listen to the beat and then spit on the track or you have another formula behind it?
Yeah i usually acquire the beat first, then that’s when I zone. I go into another dimension with it yo, I turn into Rainman with it. Sometimes I’ll have a verse that I saved in the vault that I would use when the times right on the perfect beat, but that doesn’t occur too often. A typical studio session would be mad beers, a pre victory bogey, a mid victory bogey, and the actual victory bogey. I use to smoke weed like tipi's but now a days i don’t smoke too tough.

10)         You got a sick delivery and flow with a mid to late-90’s wordplay which many rappers especially young cats don’t have. How do you define your music sound and what makes you and your type of music unique from other artists?
Thanks I appreciate that. I would define my music and sound as very crispy waffley, and just Monday to Sunday night Raw. I try to shy away from labeling myself or my music because I don't like being categorized. The only two categories i know are Classic or Trashcan music. Some prefer the latter, I prefer the former. I think one of the things that separate me from other artists is, the shit I say is unpredictable and unexpected. I'll say something like "you aint shit, like when you take a wipe and the paper white". I’m definitely going to use that line by the way.

11)         Who are your musical influences?
I always tell everyone and their pet hamster that my top 3 rappers of all time are Big Pun, Nas, and Eminem. Of course they're not my only influences but there's too many to name. Aside from rap though, I love soul, jazz, and funk. Especially soul though man, I love The Delfonics, The Chi-Lites, The Stylistics, etc. I like Marvin Gaye too.

12)         What has been your biggest challenge with your music?
Probably the biggest challenge in my music is attempting to make it enjoyable for the younger kids too, cause I say a lot of shit not made for their ears but at the same time I was 10 years old with the unedited Marshall Mathers LP. And I think I turned out aight.. I always try to make music for everyone though, I don't target just one specific audience.

13)         Love the chorus to the track “Hurry Up”. The world is definitely waiting for you. Explain from your perspective of the line “When you get older, things get taken from you.” I don’t think a lot of people realize the truth behind it.
Thank you fam, I can tell you definitely do your homework cause "Hurry Up" is like 2 and a half yrs old. Haha but that joint is like my baby though. That quote is from the movie Any Given Sunday I grabbed that up and threw it on the track. I find it very meaningful not just in my life but everyone's life as well. In simpler terms, that line means, you gotta get it while you can. The worst thing that can be stripped of you as you get older is your dream. So as you get older, you’re getting every second, minute, and hour taken from you and that’s something you can't take back. Time can be your best friend or worst enemy.

14)         You performed at SOB’s how did that turn out?
That was a blessing and an honor to hit that stage. What was dope about it was that, I wasn't opening up for nobody; my performance was a part of N.O.R.E.'s set. So that was real cool man. I did my thing; got a nice lil reaction from the people and it was just a great experience.

15)         Have peeps responded the way you wanted them to?
Definitely brotha. I had dudes that worked at SOBs coming up to me to dap me and shit. Heres a lil inside story. Capone of CNN never knew i was a rapper til I hit the stage. When I got off he stopped me to give me my props and told me he'd be down to work with me. Next week later we got the "Blastoff" record (produced by Psycho Les) off my upcoming mixtape Sparks Steakhouse hosted by DJ Butchrock. Go get it when it drops, it’s free like NYC condoms b.

16)         How much is staying original and relevant in the game means to you?
In my opinion, depending on how original you are dictates how relevant you will be in the game. So it's very significant to me. I call rappers with no identity, shower rappers. Because what they're really doing is just singing along. This aint karaoke, big up to the Philippines though they big on that karaoke lol. They get shot over that shit.

17)         What do you think about the current state of hip hop?
The current state of hip hop is cool. I'll never diss somebody's craft unless they sound like they're mocking what I love to do. But I’m cool with the state of hip hop, long as it’s still being listened to, I’m good.

18)         Talk to us about the Sparks Steakhouse mixtape?
Sparks Steakhouse is a mixtape I am about to release hosted by Dj Butchrock. It has productions by myself, Dolo, Psycho Les, Incredible Cutts, Butchrock, One-Take, Tony Heathcliff, SPKilla, and Ric Rude. With features from N.O.R.E., Capone, Starvin B, Spit Gemz, and Butchrock too. Word!

19)         Is there an Aye Wun album coming out in the works?
There definitely will be an album in the works but right now my main focus is getting Sparks Steakhouse out there and properly presenting and promoting it.

20)         Where headz could get at your music?
Right now you can youtube me and vevo me. We got the Rigamortis video out now shout out to Vevo. (http://t.co/F7jifZRv) When Sparks Steakhouse drops everyone will be able to get that at datpiff and a lot of poppin hip-hop sites and blogs. It’s going to be everywhere!

21)         Any shoutouts!
Shoutout to Planet Earth and everyone from that planet that supports the kid! I’ma get to Mars and them later. Shoutout to you too Ty! 1love

No comments:

Post a Comment