Friday, August 3, 2012

Interview with Aneeway Jones


Interview with Aneeway Jones
1)            Aneeway Jones, what you up to these days?
Peace. Summertime you know, everything goes kinda slowly so i just take time for myself and my daughter, I'm in Grenoble, France for now and about to go on vacation with her. I don't have that time the rest of the year so i just do simple things these days and enjoy life. And for sure promoting my new album "by Aneebeats necessary".

2)            How you came up with the name Aneeway Jones?
I think it really started when i heard Quasimoto's album "the unseen" in 2000 which is one of the albums I like the most. I noticed that Madlib used the word "anyway" mad times in his lyrics and especially in "jazzcats" when he says "anyway, I love jazz". I've certainly started to make beats after I’ve heard this album because of the love for this culture of digging samples and loops. Kids and then girls used to call me Jones for some reasons, and you know "anyway" is one of the most pronounced words in English and Jones is one of the most popular name also, so the association of the two becomes unique. Also a meaning of how to be a regular person with something special likes making music.

3)            Who are your musical influences?
I grew up with a lot of music when I was a kid with my pops; he listened to a lot of blues and mostly 70's music like Bob Dylan, The Doors, and Pink Floyd etc…. Then I came to
hip-hop in 94 but to name a few influences I would say Gil Scott-Heron, Madlib, RZA, Pete Rock, for sure J-Dilla but also movies, I watch a lot of them. And New York is a city that influences me a lot; I used to stay in Brooklyn so it is a big influence on my music and lifestyle. But you know there are dope joints in every kind of music so I take influences everywhere as long as I can feel that groove!

4)            Hailing from France, what made you decide to become a producer?
I've started to rhyme in 96 or 97 and there was no internet and that many producers at the time so for a young artist it was mad hard to find exclusive beats to record because there was no record deal etc... So we've been recording on some beats from vinyls. I was like I needed to produce my own instrumentals. As I said before I really felt in love with this art of making beats and digging, and looping samples with Quasimoto's LP. That’s what made me decide to buy my first MPC 2000 in 2002. I was 18. I've spent mad times on it and finally stopped rhyming because of not enough time to do everything; you know work a 9-5 to pay bills etc. Producing hip-hop matches to the person I am so everything came up naturally.

5)            How did you learn to make beats and produce?
By myself! I've spent mad times to listen to some hip-hop and different styles of music to study and learn how the tracks were produced, how bassline were made, drums, try to find how producers used samples, filters and so. Then I’ve just tried to make it sound similar on my MPC. It took me a few years to master it, and step by step getting my own style. But I've always known before I've started to produce how I wanted my music to be like. Just spend times by myself, with the sampler and a bunch of records!

6)            How long you have been making beats?
I've started in 2002, so for 10 years! Time runs fast yo!

7)            Do you think your beats have progressed over the years?
Yes, definitely. I'm a work addict so I'm always looking for making something different. I love discovering new stuffs that inspires me so I always have new ideas about music. And you know when you meet people that bring you something musically and spiritually your music evolves and progress by itself. Traveling was the key also. L.I.F.E. Long was one of these people I'm talking about. You know, I’ve put out around 20 instrumentals albums and EP's with different concepts, like only Indian samples after my little brother came back from India or only doo-wop samples etc. Staying open to different things and always keep it moving make me evolve through my music so yes I can say that it has progressed over the years.

8)            How was it producing tracks with France TV channel Canal Plus?
Canal Plus is a big channel so I was honored to work for them. Our tracks were played each time before every NBA games, for two years. First year was with L.I.F.E. Long & Respect Tha God from Perverted Monks, second year was with L.I.F.E. Long and Iomos Marad. They also played other tracks during the highlights. A lot of people who watch NBA games like hip-hop so it was a great promotion plus I was a fan of that dude who hosts the show since I'm a kid as a basket-ball fan. Respect Tha God has been interviewed before they broadcast a game also, I wasn't there, I think I still was in The States at this time, anyway. It was a dope experience, real talk, like real underground hip-hop on TV!

9)            Talk to us about Beat Trotterz label
Beat Trotterz is french label managed by my man Lord Faz. I've met him at a show in southern France. He is a DJ and producer so he wanted to create a label for producers.
We are 6 or 7 in it and he put out a compilation of remixes we produced. I've made two of them. He's also a tour DJ and tout manager so he book shows for artists like Verbal Kent, Radix, Icon The Mic King and perform with them as a DJ. The label put out mad mixtapes for U.S artists, last one was for my homie Racecar of Modill. We are now working on a new Modill project. Beat Trotterz has also a podcasts website with a few DJ's spinning hot music on.

10)         What do you look for in a hip hop artist?
I just expect artists to stay true to themselves and bring heat on the beats. They can write on everything they want as far as the music is good. There's no rules to make music and being creative, just staying ourselves and don't fake it. That's why hip-hop is a varied culture; each one of us brings something different.

11)         Any artist you haven’t worked with but you really like to work with?
A lot of artists! To name a few I would say Sean Price, C-Rayz Walz, Wu-Tang members, Sav Killz, RA The Rugged Man, Buckshot, my brother Premrock, just waiting for us to be free at the same time to do it, I don't know, there's many..Declaime also, anybody else who is dope.

12)         How about Money Hungry Bastards?
MHB, also means Make Hip-Hop Better or a few other things is a huge crew of artists all over the world. We have a website that introduces the artists, we put out albums and mixtapes with most of us on them and we work on mad projects all together or just a few of us. We all fams and stay in touch to debate on music, music industry etc. I've worked with a few artists of the crew and working on some EP's for some of them. You can hear me with MHB memebers like L.I.F.E. Long, Leaf Erikson, Masai Bey, Which Craft, Citizen Kane, Emac Ulit.

13)         How did the A.L.L.I.E.S. crew come about?
Allies is me, L.I.F.E. Long from New York and Iomos Marad from Chicago. This is an acronym for Aneeway Life Long & Iomos Elevate Souls. I was making music with both of them and they knew each other too so we decided to make a track the three of us and "winter" came out. People liked it a lot and the alchemy was there so we decided to work on a whole album. They came to visit me in France in 2010, I've met L.I.F.E. Long and stay with him before but it was the first time I've met Iomos face to face. We've spent time working, recording, promoting, chilling, and Allies was born. We've put out a mixtape online and our first album is coming soon.

14)         That’s an awesome connection: France, New York and Chicago. How do you get with them and do tracks together?
As I said they came to France, we've recorded ruff versions of the tracks, then they been recording the tracks again in Chicago and New York, I came to New York and worked on the mixes with L.I.F.E. Long and our sound engineer Ed, we talk on the internet, on the phone, we use of all the ways we have to build, it's funny Iomos just texted me!

15)         You worked on an album with Unknown Mizery called “Empty Handed Warriors”. What was the concept behind the album?
I am proud of this album, Unknow Mizery is a dope artist and we had success on it, it was charted number one on university radios in Canada, people liked it. Rumplestilz, a cello player also worked with us on it. Mizery is very political and he speaks on how to struggle the system, how to think by ourselves, how to refuse to believe what the governments want us to believe. We are like warriors even if our hands are empty; we have to use our intellect and knowledge as a weapon. Mizery came to Europe on tour to promote the album, he met a lot of people and then Empty Handed Warriors became a movement with a lot of artists across the world, we've put out an album a few months ago with all of them. The movement or crew, whatever we call it, is so huge now I'm not even sure everyone knows that I am at the beginning of it!!

16)         You did remixes for Ghostface, GZA and Joell Ortiz to name a few. It seems like remixes are not as popping like before. In the 90’s almost every record had a remix or a B side that wasn’t on the album.
Yes sir, true. Remixes were dope at this time when Pete Rock dropped his remixes of Public Enemy etc. The exclusive remixes on the b-sides maybe were like a collaboration between the artist and another producer. In the 90's there was Producers. Now that everybody has a laptop, a facebook page and software to make beats, we can't say that each of them is a producer. They are beat makers and everyone can remix a track and put it online. Remixes ain't popping like before but now there are a lot of remix contests so anybody that makes dope beats can promote his music this way. Also I think that now, we can download that many things too easily on the internet that people don't listen that many times to the same tracks, life of a track is shorter now so maybe people don't pay attention to remixes and don't wait for producers to remix tracks, they bounce from one thing to another mad fast. Remember back in the days, we spent bucks on some records and listened to them until the cd or vinyl was dead!!

17)         Who are your favorite hip hop producers at the moment?
These days? Kankick. I'm listening to a lot of Kankick beats. And as always Madlib, J-Dilla, 4th Disciple, RZA, Black Milk, Lewis Parker.

18)         You got the online radio show, Bring Dutches, how is that going?
Yeah, I did it for three years, every Saturday for Stay Rap Radio that closed last February. Now it is like a social network for French artists. I was playing songs I like and I really liked to do it. I've continued to do it just by myself, put the podcasts on my mixcloud page and they also will be soon on the Beat Trotterz web radio called Mixlawax.

19)         You got an album coming up “By Anee Beats Necessary. Talk to us about the album.
This album dropped last may 25th on New York label Cocoon Movements thanks to L.I.F.E. Long and Chicago distribution company Joe Left Hand records thanks to Infinito 2017. It's available on Itunes, Amazon, Virgin, Deezer, Spotify and all sites you can buy music on. There are 20 tracks featuring MC's and 3 instrumental tracks on it. You can find mad cats from New York, Canada, Chicago, California, Detroit, Greece and France. Artists like my Allies brothers L.I.F.E. Long and Iomos Marad, Ace Lover, Khai Sharrieff of Lunar Heights, Leaf Erikson, Juni, Unknown Mizery, Illskilled, my sister Nena Bleu from Brooklyn, and many more. The title of the album is for sure from that famous "by any means necessary" from Malcolm X. It's a soulful album, music from the heart and the soul and I'm happy of what MC's did on it, peace to all of them.

20)         Was it hard getting verses from artists for the By Anee Beats Necessary album?
Nah! This is the NO budget album; I didn't have to pay anyone to be on it because I know personally everybody who is on it! Some of them even know my moms, brothers and daughter or were my neighbors! This is a kind of family album, I didn't want to have big names on it just to have buzz, my music speaks for itself, same for my people who are on this album.

21)         Is there anything that bothers you about modern day hip hop?
Absolutely not! Hip-hop is still real or it ain't hip-hop, I don't have time to waste to listen and debate on wack joints. Hip-hop changed maybe but nothing can stand at the same point for 40 years. Maybe younger artists and newcomers have to acknowledge their history. But it's all good!

22)         What’s next for Aneeway Jones in 2012?
Still promoting the album "by Aneebeats necessary". And a bunch of projects! I love producing a whole project for an artist. Here is people I will drop a project with: Allies, L.I.F.E. Long, a mixtape and an album with Queens MC Hastyle The Barber-Artist, D-Strong from Los Angeles, Lee Reed from Toronto, Grone da Radikal from Florida, Hakeem Sayeed from Swatziland, South Africa, a reggae album with Which craft and other MHB artists, an album with Khai Sharrieff of Lunar Heights & Icewater of The Pharcyde. Another EP with German mc Ammoeinser & African mc Street. EP with soul Canadian singer Ayo Leilani. Also a few instrumental projects like "Amakat in India part 2" and an album of me as an MC's under the name of Rasheed Cole. Here what is coming for 2012 and beginning of 2013. Hopefully an "Empty Handed Warriors" album volume 2 with Unknow Mizery! An album I'm making for someone special under the name of The 7's, y'all know the concept soon. No sleep!

23)         Where headz can get at your beats or music?
Just google my name, and check on youtube, soundcloud, blogspots etc. Everyone can also hit me up on Facebook!

24)         Any shoutouts!
Thank you, and peace to you for the interview! Peace to my little brothers Mike and Charly, my brothers L.I.F.E. Long and Iomos marad, Power.Allah.Universe.Love.I.Nation.Equality ready to build! Hastyle Barber number one all MC's on my album, my MHB team, my Empty Handed Warriors team, my Beat Trotterz team, Hobo Banditos, Jaki M., Ace Lover, Geometry, Nena Bleu, Leaf Erikson, Khai Sharrieff,  Sapeur, Teo, Rime Hunter, my Brizaka Records team, Stronghold, my Grenoble team, Size, Greg, Seb, Dj Senik, Dj Skore, Bwy-J, Premrock, Respect Tha God, Aquamonk,  Perverted Monks, everyone I forgot, everyone who support me accross the globe, everyone who show me love, everyone that inspires me or I made music with, stay up and shining!

Go check out Aneeway Jones at these websites

No comments:

Post a Comment