Thursday, November 14, 2013

Interview with Art Morera


Interview with Art Morera
Art Morera is making much noise on the Miami hip hop scene. The Miami native has released two respected EP’s that are based on substance and truth.  Both projects including the 12:00AM mixtape have embodied Art Morera to experiment on his narratives and reinforce versatility. His video “Answer Machines” has received a good substantial amount of viewers. Art Morera’s articulation will make the listener think and groove to his music. Straight outta the 305 and 786, Art Morera talks to Intrigued about how he got into the game, the Morera EP and his future goals.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Art Morera, you originated from Miami, Florida. How is the hip hop scene over there?
Art Morera: The Hip Hop scene in Miami is full of talented artists that often work with each other and perform together! Lately there have been more and more headlining artists that respectable local artists have opportunities to open up for, and expose their music to real hip hop fans. Only thing is some show promoters (not all of them) have artists pay to perform despite the quality of their music or pull. Everyone has to make their money somehow, I guess.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): For those who are unfamiliar with your music, how you got started into hip hop and when did you take it seriously?
Art Morera: I got into Hip Hop in middle school but more in high school! I would freestyle with other MCs that would freestyle and cypher daily, every lunch, after school. We kept each other sharp, and they put me on to their favorite artists which were mainly underground Hip Hop (Atmosphere, Eyedea, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali...) 

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): The track Answer Machines is hot, got a nice vibe to it. Peeps probably got the concept confused when they thought it was about a female. The concept is about hollering at the record labels. Are there any personal horror stories with your experiences with record labels?
Art Morera: Actually, the song is about reaching out to new listeners in general, not specifically the record labels! It's a song to every potential fan. The only story I can share regarding record labels was in July 2007, when I was in a group called 'DMG' we had meetings with like 5 or 6 major labels in New York. We stayed in Harlem for 4 days. We were offered a deal but something happened with our management at the time that shut the deal down and we never got signed. God has a plan for all of us though; we're all destined for greatness.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Describe your writing process when introduced to your beat!
Art Morera: Soon as I press play, I listen to what the beat is telling me, what the music is saying... then I base that around my life, however I'd be able to relate my life to what the beat sounds like. When I write, I don't sacrifice wordplay for the message; I instead prioritize the message of the song and work my rhymes around the topic. I love balancing wordplay schemes with storytelling; you'll be able to tell listening to any one of my songs.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): The Morera EP is doing well. Has the fans been receptive to the EP.
Art Morera: The fans love the EP thankfully! I've gained new fans from all over the world, even if it's 1 or 2 fans in Ghana or Austria, that's amazing to me, that someone over there listens to my music. I look forward to touring where my fans are at.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Nixon produced the Answer Machines track. What kind of sound did Nixon bring that complement your flow?
Art Morera: Nixon is a very dynamic producer! When you hear the beats he produced for me, you'll think you have his sound figured out, but trust me you don't. He'll create something left field all the time. Nixon understands my sound. When we make music we don't stick to a formula, we just create. After I write the song, he'll work the beat around my flow and really produce the record. 

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): The track “Dollars for Dreamers” is about everyone has a dream and they need a dollar to achieve it. How does that apply to the average person struggling?
Art Morera: It applies to the average person struggling because in order to accomplish what you set your mind to, even if you need 1 dollar...if you don't have it, you're gonna have to pay someone back... Make sure you do. That way, when you're en route to accomplishing your dream, you hold down the people that held you down in the beginning.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You were on the 12:00AM tour with RapOrlandoHipHop.com. How was it and what kind energy did you received from the crowd?
Art Morera: Orlando is great, I love performing there! The hip hop scene out there really appreciates lyrics and good music.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Most people think the south is mostly for trap music and making songs about the good party life. Your music is geared towards logic and substance. What separates you from other rappers especially Southern rappers?
Art Morera: I'm me! I make music about life, my life to be more specific. The listener identifies with my music because their life is similar on some level. When someone listens to my song, I want them to be happy for those 3 minutes and hopefully feel good about their lives if they didn't already.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You also a film director. How that does applies to your work ethic?
Art Morera: I started directing films when I needed my own music videos done. I started building a catalog of visuals with my friend Kimber Vasquez. Films apply to my work ethic because I see a visual to the music and we make it happen. Also, it's difficult to find a film director that sees my vision. It's something I picked up on in order to be self-sufficient.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You got what it takes to move the crowd, peeps feeling you. What would you say to other artists on when it comes to touring and rocking the mic on stage?
Art Morera: Be confident in your craft, know that people are there to have a good time! Your biggest fan might be in the audience and they don't even know it. Don't scream into the mic either.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Any artists you haven’t worked with in the future, you would like to work with in the future?
Art Morera: I would like to work with Brother Ali and Slug one day!

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): What’s next for Art Morera? Any new projects we have to look out for!
Art Morera: Yes, I have a full length album "Around Midnight" set to release January 12th 2014. Be on the lookout for new music before then as well!

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): What advice would you give to other artists that want to pursue this?
Art Morera: You write the story of your life! Make it the story you want it to be.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Thanks for the interview, for collabs or to hear your work, any social media joints that peeps can hit you up with?
Art Morera: Hit me up on twitter.com/ArtMorera and Download Arthur EP & Morera EP on iTunes, listen to it on Spotify, and visit ArthurMorera.com When its 12:00AM, know what time it is.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment