Friday, April 5, 2013

Interview with HD

Interview with HD


2013 is the year many young and hungry talented rappers coming out the gates. This includes Brooklynite’s HD who has been on the major grind through his mix tapes. HD fan base is growing and we will hear a lot more from him. His latest mix tape “Since 94” has generated a lot of downloads and has many views on the Rhyming video.  With “Backpack Rap”, “In Due Time” and “Since 94” under his belt, HD talks about how he got started, his own studio and his future with hip hop music.

1)            You’re a new up and coming artist, tell us about where you from and when did you started rapping?
HD: I'm from Brooklyn, East Flatbush to be exact.  I started rapping when I was in 5th grade with a few of my friends.

2)            Many established artists came from Brooklyn from Jay-Z and Biggie to Fabolous and Red Café. Where do you see yourself and your music representing Brooklyn in 2013?
HD: I see myself being one of the people you name when asking this question to another Brooklyn artist on the rise a few years from now.

3)            You got that slick wordplay from the 90’s with a contemporary twist. Has Brooklyn been a major influenced in your music?
HD: Definitely! I'm a proud Brooklynite, so I incorporate the things I've learned from my environment in my music.

4)            Who are your musical influences that introduced you to the game?
HD: I wouldn't say that they're all musical influences but they're the first artists that I've listened to because I got into hip-hop by "borrowing" my brother's cds.  I had some Pac, Cam'ron, Snoop Dogg, Freeway, 50 cent, Young Gunz and others.

5)            Your latest mixtape “Since 94” came out last year; it’s a sure banger. The title has an interesting meaning. What does it mean and what will fans get out of the mixtape?
HD: I really appreciate that!  The title is actually a double entendre. I was born in 1994 and I live on 94th street.  If you look at the top left of the front cover, you can see the 94th street sign.  I feel fans will get that I am versatile and that lyricism is always apparent regardless what the style of the track is.

6)            Your video “Rhymin” is out, how receptive fans are to the video on youtube?
HD: So far it has been getting a bunch of love, my goal is just to get it out to more people.

7)            You worked with producer Herring Franky on the Rhyming track. What type of sound you’re looking for and how was it working with Herring Franky?
HD: Yea I've been working with Franky for a while.  I can always count on him when I want that real boom bap sound.  As far as working with him, I haven't been able to do so because he lives in Hungary so it's more: he sends the track, I record it, then send it back to him.  Hopefully I'll be able to go out there to work with him one day, I feel like we'd make some amazing stuff if we're both working hands-on.

8)            You’re about to do a set in Boston. What are your expectations on doing a set outside of New York?
HD: I'm going into it as if no one there wants to hear what I have to say and I have to win them over, which may be the case.

9)            You are slowly building a fan base and you’re getting a great buzz. Have you spread your fan base outside of New York?
HD: Yea it's really cool to see everything steadily coming together.  My fan base is a lot more prominent in Europe or at least that's how it seems to me.  It's only recently that I've been seeing a bit more New York fans, which is great.

10)         The hip hop game is very fickle when you can blow up and then fizzle really quickly. How do you stay relevant in a game that switches sounds and image consistently?
HD: I feel it all depends on who you want to be relevant to.  If you want to stay relevant to your fans, you stick to your sound and put out great music consistently.  If you want to remain relevant to the masses you have to be versatile and innovative and of course put out great music consistently.

11)         What is the most frustrating thing with becoming a new artist?
HD: When you know you have what it takes, it's a bit frustrating when you don't get the recognition you feel you deserve but I feel that's important to go through because it test your dedication and it makes the victory much better.

12)         You branded your own acronym called A.W.Y.A on the word play track. What does it stand for and what does it mean to you?
HD: It stands for Accept Who You Are.  I feel too many people are concerned about the actions of others, so it's basically just being comfortable with yourself regardless with anyone thinks.

13)         You mentioned that you liked the old school 90’s hip hop music. Which artists do you listen to from the golden era and do you incorporate their styles to your music?
HD: Jay-Z is probably the artist that I've listened to the most.  Big L, Nas, Wu-Tang, Keith Murray, etc

14)         You also have your own studio where you produced and mix your own music. Do you think it’s more of an advantage to do it by yourself?
HD: It has its pros and cons. I'm completely comfortable working by myself because I'm not thinking about what someone else is thinking while I'm recording but it's bad because I criticize myself really badly so I end up recording things a bunch of times, for example, I'll hear that I took a weird sounding breath and I'll scrap the whole recording

15)         Name five artists and producers you like to work with in the future?
HD: Artists: Jay-z, Kendrick, Method Man, R.Kelly, Miss Elliot, the list goes on
Producers: Timbaland, Premier, Rick Rubin, Havoc, Key Wane and many more

16)         What do you do in your spare time besides music?
HD: I just chill, I don't go out too much.  Play some xbox, watch movies, head out to the city from time to time.

17)         What do you usually listen to on your I-Pod?
HD: I just put my I-Pod on shuffle the first 5 artists that came up are: Tyler The Creator, Logic, Wu-Tang, Joey Badass and Dom Kennedy.

18)         Where do you see yourself in a couple of years?
HD: I see myself living comfortably off my music with a lot more fans and being able to sell out venues on my own.

19)         Are we going to see more projects from you in 2013?
HD: Yea I'm working on the mixtape right now, it'll be dropping late spring/ early summer

20)         Where can people get at you for music?
HD: On youtube, hotnewhiphop, etc. The easiest way is to go my twitter: @HDBEENDOPE or my Facebook: Facebook.com/hdbeendope94 the links are all over those pages.

21)         Any shout outs before we wrap up the interview!
HD: Much love to my fans, Young Kings, Cypher League and thank you for this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment