Friday, April 19, 2013

Interview with DraMatik



Interview with DraMatk

DraMatik has come a long way in the hip hop scene. Coming from one of the recognized yet underrated state Massachusetts, DraMatik has performed on stage with many established hip hop artists. Now singed with Wu-Tang Management, the emcee from Bean Town has been rapping since a youngin.  DraMatik appears with Intrigued to talk about his projects, alongside Krumbsnatcha, his live performances and getting into the game.

1)            Congratulations for being signed to Wu-Tang management. What made you decide to go that route with Wu-Tang?
DraMatik: Well that rout came to us…me & the W.O.L.V.E.S thru Krumb and his blessings. Also Jimmy Kane who is the Vice president of Wu Management now, we have always worked with Jimmy so it was a natural fit.  Make sure you check out Warlordz which was our first effort under them. Crazy CD! http://www.datpiff.com/Krumb-Snatcha-Wolves-Ent-Presents-Warlordz-mixtape.442038.html

2)            How you get the name Dramatik and how long you have been rapping?
DraMatik: I been rapping since I was 12 and yes IM a 80’s baby, the name DraMatik was given to me by my friends, it was a natural transition, My name is Andres so they called me Dre for short and when I talk and express myself my friends would say “dam kid your DRE-matik” so then it became DraMatik. When I rhyme and perform its all passion DRAMATIK

3)            You currently part of a group called the W.O.L.V.E.S. What does it stand for and who are the members?
DraMatik: Warriors organizing lives values escaping struggle. That’s K.S group which was born on the Training Day sound track from the song with M.O.P. I came on as a member in 2002 but I had many skills in lots of other things so K.S made me the label manager as well. To help our artist developed and make their music. Lots of Artists have come thru W.O.L.V.E.S use it as a plat form and keep it moving, that’s kinda disappointing because we all look for loyalty. Terminology, Kali, 360, and Sonic were all W.O.L.V.E.S at one point but moved on! Right now Wolves is a small tight nit group, of course Krumb Snatcha aka K.S King Solomon the General. We have the Lieutenant Itchy Finga from V.A he is the hook master reminiscent of Nate Dog. Siniz-Ta the Tiegre Malo of Dominican decent, Hectic who’s a member of several groups, and couple of new pupps Sixty- Six & Benbny Bronx who are upcoming MC’s. and we also have an Overseer Brudda Muhammad and The VP Big Tye.

4)            You rep Lawrence Massachusetts. How is the hip hop scene there?
DraMatik: Lawrence is a flourishing scene with lots of great talent and most of all there is brotherhood and support for each other.  Even more important is that the up and coming cats respect their elders, there is a great chemistry happening right now in Lawrence with the inter changing of new and old style fusing together. It’s a beautiful thing

5)            Who were your musical influences growing up in the game?
DraMatik: LOL ok now don’t trip but I came up in the 80’s and though I was around for the birth of Hip-Hop I came up listing to New Edition, Of course M.J and Old Mo-Town. As Far as MC’s The Great KRS-One influenced me in many ways. Most of the MCs in the Goldnen age of Hip Hop are still played in my CD. EPMD, Special ED, Big Daddy Kane, Pac & Big

6)            Massachusetts has some talented emcees from Guru of Gang Starr, Termanology and Ed. O.G. to name a few and talented producers like Stu Bangas and Statik Selektah. Do you think Massachusetts can bring someone out the gate and make a strong impact on the scene?
DraMatik: Same question different years.., only the artist change, when it happens it happens that’s all I can say about that! Props to Term doing his thing he’s the best chance we have right now!  As well as Reks….

7)            You performed the track “We The People” at the Boston Tax Rally. The track we the people had a powerful message. What made you decide to write a political rap song for the Tea Party?
DraMatik: That track was all business, but also being an artist I am true to what I write. The Tea party was looking for a rap song and they contracted me for it. Doing research of the Party and there core values which are many of the things I believe in, those are the things I focused on! 

8)            Do you think that performing at the Boston Tax Rally will rub people the wrong way as far as political views are concerned?
DraMatik: Yea it might but I am I leader, an agent of change. So that’s what I bring to the table. The face of the Tea party is changing and I’m helping bring that about!  I’m glad I had that opportunity. We’re kicking the door down and making way for change. There a lot of people who are open to it too so it’s in the works…

9)            What was the difference within the crowd and the vibe between your previous rap performances and performing for the Tea Party crowd?
DraMatik: Well I’m a Hip-Hoper so I’m use to the hood, club and bars …. It was very different and the crowd was predominately white, republican and liberal. It’s not ya typical Hip-Hop crowd and that’s right up my alley.  The more difficult and untraditional the better…

10)         It seems like people are either misinformed or in a sleep regarding the political game!
DraMatik: Yes more people in the hood and urban areas are, but at the same time that’s an individual choice. You have to be informed you have to educate yourself cause that is the only way you can make a difference an impact in this world! Knowledge is power! EMPOWER YOURLSEF

11)         What are your political views as far as the taxes in the state of Massachusetts?
DraMatik: We been Taxed enough already LOL! I mean I’m from both sides of the fence, I been on the receiving end of what taxes go to and Now I’m a tax payer, there is a thin line I walk when it comes to these issues and there is not enough space in this interview for my opinions. Even the work I do is funded by federal and state moneys. It’s crazy but we can save that one for another interview!

12)         Immortal Technique and Block McCloud have also made political songs regarding the trials and tribulations in the United States. Do you think your message and other rap artists can spread throughout the country?
DraMatik: Of course it can this is Hip-Hop and when you mention good artist like Block and I.T, with the talent of music that we have EVERYTHING is possible. So many points of views and stories of the rich and dark history of this country… I see lots more kind of this Hip-Hop coming to life in the future.

13)         You were a feature rap artist at the MTV website. How did you get a gig as a feature rap artist with MTV website?
DraMatik: I been in the game for a hot Minute, I took a change and submitted music and they Featured me…it is a blessing and I appreciate very much… if you don’t knock on door you never know who will open! Feel me!

14)         You were nominated for the best hip hop act of 2009 by the Boston Music Awards. How did you feel about it and did you expect to be nominated?
DraMatik: It was a very proud moment for me! I really don’t look for confirmation of awards to justify my music cause at the end of the day I make music because I love to make music, but when someone says hey we notice what you’re doing and we recognize it, it feels good and Hell no I didn’t expect it. That year I was flirting with Folk-Hop making a new kind of Hip-Hop and I really didn’t expect that music or CD (The Swell Season of Hip-Hop) to get the world wide recognition it did. It’s was a side project that broke down walls for me. It was one of my most intimate CD’s I have ever recorded. See for your self   http://www.datpiff.com/DraMatik-Blaze-Infamous-ft-Ms-J-Lyric-The-Swell-Season-Of-Hip-hop-mixtape.73765.html Be on the Look out for a 2013 nomination and maybe ill win this year!

15)         Your music caught the eye of Krumbsnatcha. That must be a great feeling getting props from Krumbsnatcha who worked with the Gang Starr foundation. What did you learned from Krumbsnatcha that made you elevate in this profession?
DraMatik: From Krumb I learned what it means to be a Wolf Hip-Hop artist. Most MC’s would fall behind in the shadow of such a great MC maybe even become a coattail MC. W.O.L.V.E.S make their own lane and are all masters of their own music. I learned how to take my writing to the next level. Seeing how Krumb records and write is awe inspiring, subject material, pitch changes, adlibs and to top off my development as an MC Krumb connected me and Itchy Finga…to be influenced by them two brought me to where I am as an artist and man. I would not half the MC I am today were it not for my involvement in W.O.L.V.E.S. Real Talk!  Cause of them I take the chances I take with the music and so far it’s paid off. I salute K.S & Itchy Finga!

16)         You opened up for many well established artists such as Wu-Tang, Freeway and Terror Squad to name a few. Any memories of your best performances!
DraMatik: So many Shows and so many places…Spanish Festival 2001 front of 3,000 Latinos in Lawrence, Ma. I took the main stage prime time, that performance is one of my all-time fav’s because it took the city by storm and let my town know that I had arrived it’s been all uphill since then, yes a slow stead climb but I still have never looked back since then.

17)         What goes through your mind about the current state of hip hop?
DraMatik: Wow I was waiting for this one, Mainstream Hip-Hop is a joke controlled by the radio, fake radio DJ’s bullshit record labels and talentless uninspired MC’s. And now they are spawning a fake generation of listeners and artist. We on the underground hold steady and will continue to make real Hip-Hop. Salute to all real MC’s who don’t compromise there music!  DJ need to hold themselves accountable for the music they play, they are the Key in bring the music back but they caught up in the bullshit! Here’s the Message http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVOLIHl8pcg&feature=youtu.be

18)         What keeps you motivated to continue making music?
DraMatik: Hearing all the horrible music that’s out, My waiter haters, that’s people who hate my music and are waiting for me to fall. And The Love! I LOVE MUSIC!  My goal has NEVER been to make a million dollars and be famous…feel me?

19)         An upcoming artist hits you up with music, what talents do you look for in that artist?
DraMatik: Vocal delivery, subject material and substance in music!

20)         What next for DraMatik for 2013? Any projects we have to look after!
DraMatik: Yes! First is the Law-town’s finest Mix tape which will drop in a few weeks which is featuring some of Lawrence’s best MC which release of the Law-Towns finest song which is a Tribute to The late great MC Scientifik.  Myself, Krumb, Term, Reks and several other MC remade his Law-Town song to keep his name alive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2IbmgS18Ok&feature=share That cd will be hosted by DK Erkel, Also The DraMa of life Mix-Tape which is some New Unreleased DraMatik and some never released classics HOSTED BY dj Erkel too, My full length LP Tha X-Periment which is a collabo album with all beats by GC Classic and The Guns & Roses CD by W.O.L.V.E.S

21)         Any other artists that you like to work with in the future?
DraMatik: KRS-One… I have some collabos on deck with Block Mcloud, Classic Mix-Tape MC Snggapuss and an unreleased Sean Price joint.

22)         Definitely gonna wrap it up, where can peeps get at you for music or for collaborations?
DraMatik: www.facebook.com/dramatikwolf or @dramawolf on twitter

23)         It was definitely a pleasure interview you DraMatik. Continue with your many successes coming your way!
DraMatik: Thank you, for the opportunity and giving me a chance let people know a lil bit of the DraMa! Pun intended lol! Also keep doing what you do cause you are also a piece in bring this music back and keep us real MC’s Alive! Thank you! Real Hip-Hop Lives on the underground 

No comments:

Post a Comment