Monday, July 7, 2014

Interview with Jukstapose


Interview with Jukstapose
When you hear about the state of New Jersey, it’s sometimes called the sixth borough. Many dope artists’ rep Jersey and left a long resume of classic albums and singles that still get play at the clubs. This includes Newark’s artist Jukstapose who always held his own weight. With impressive singles including the relationship inspired project “Love, Hate and Relationships”, Jukstapose is not afraid to step outside of the box and be heard. When you hear tracks like “Playing for Keeps”, the soulful “My Years” and the boom bap influenced “The Zone”, this keep the heads nodding. Jukstapose builds with Intrigued about his music, getting into the game and about his upcoming projects.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You’re originally from Brick City aka Newark NJ. For those that don’t know who you are, tell them how did you get put on to hip hop?
Jukstapose: It was all around me in the 90s which I'm grateful to be around for that beautiful era. If I weren't watching sports as a kid it was MTV and a lot of hip hop videos were breaking around 91-92. I just became hooked on it. Then I eventually found my way into the local scene which was really something in those days. The culture was pure.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Describe your writing process when approaching a beat?
Jukstapose: There is none, I just do whatever and whenever it hits me. The process is natural and I never force anything. I can immediately tell if a beat is useable or not. Sometimes I just randomly think of rhymes during the day and I memorize and then piece together a bunch of things in my head. It's easy I have a lot to say.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Do you remember what your first record you ever put out was?
Jukstapose: I was putting out mixtapes consistently in the early 2000s on my own and getting on some compilations. Also around that time I was a part of some releases on a few indie labels. There were some 12 inches out and overseas imports. We did a lot of college radio promo for the constant new music

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You got a nice flow on your joints and your name is well known in Jersey. What separate your style from others?
Jukstapose: Thanks man I appreciate that. I think the level of creativity. NJ used to have its own sound at one point but I never really wanted to be a part of the witty silly drug steeze. [RIP Slang ton] Although I came up under the Outsidaz and a heavy battle style of rap I didn't only choose that. I loved the hip hop from Queens and of course all the Wu and Boot Camp stuff. Over the years I think I got known for the boom bap slash backpacker stuff but that's lame. Don't get me wrong I was very into conscious and alternative stuff. I make art and I love all genres so whatever the coin is you call it. My cousin Dilligaf really pushed me to get good and then I went to jail for 2 years when I was 16 and it was like Rap College. I came out and was one of the nicest emcees in Newark. Yup a skinny white kid!

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You worked with countless amounts of artists from Shabaam Sahdeeq, Copywrite, Godilla, Agallah, Raekwon, Sha Stimuli, Cage, Access Immortal and Verse Essential to name a few. When you listen to music from other artists, what do you look for before doing work with him?
Jukstapose: Nothing I only work with guys who have a buzz even if they suck. Haha I'm just kidding. I have relationships with everyone I work with. It's never just business then farewell. These are friends of mine. There's a lot more dope cats I've worked with too. If I approach someone via internet or meet at a show I build with them and make a relationship not just here's money give me verse never see ya again. I'm not a bedroom mc so people have been seeing me at the functions for years.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You got an alter ego Wally Thrasher. Explain the difference between the alter egos of Wally and Juks?
Jukstapose: I wouldn't say alter ego. Jukstapose has been my professional name since I started but Wally Thrasher evolved over the years as a real piece of scum. I ran wild for a few years terrorizing lives of poor people. At home I'm just me. At the club, at the show or at the strip joint I'm always thrashing. Wallace is just a bad person all around. I make people do things they don't want to do because I make it look so cool. Charlie Sheen is soft compared to my runs. In all seriousness Wally Thrasher is my DJ name as well. I'm clean and off drugs now btw.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): I definitely like the joints you did with Access Immortal and Verse Essential especially on the track “Playing 4 Keeps”. How is it working with them?
Jukstapose: Kinda dead stop once Access went to Japan but now he's back so we are gonna get to work heavily. Access is a pro he's flawless. I don't even know if Verse is still doing music I think he retired.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You even worked with Queensbridge artist Tragedy Khadafi. How did you link up with Trag?
Jukstapose: Trag was always one of my favorites. I seen him at a show and he told me later down the line that he's never been approached like that. According to eye witnesses I grabbed him very aggressively and told him to look me in the eyes. I said "fuck Nas and fuck Jay Z". "Fuck CNN they were nothing without you and you get no credit why?" I said "your top 5 dead or alive I hope you do something to keep that going and stay out of prison". Very fierce I was like yelling at my idol. We exchanged numbers like nothing. I mean he probably thought I was some coked up white nerd he could beat but I was just drunk, excited and determined to make him feel my aura. He's big on aura just as I am.

Next day he calls me and wants to talk biz immediately. I shut him down cause my uncle just passed away. So a few days of him harassing me I said "listen man I just read the eulogy stop hounding me we will talk tomorrow". He tried to push me around like I was nobody but then gave me a fair deal. Western union was closed so he gets loud with me cause ya know he is the Thug Matrix. I said where are you Trag I'll come through drop off this lucci. Took me to his family's house in Harlem and we just kicked it. He's like you’re a real dude I can tell you’re a good kid and going places. We started chilling and became friends. We have a lot in common and I love just hearing him tell stories about his career up and downs. He really took me under his wing and I'd say he's my mentor. I never would have thought I'd be great friends with the foul Mahdi. It wasn't about business anymore he calls me to just bullshit. I hear he's burned a lot of bridges but he's always been pretty good to me. I love the man dearly. He gave me permission to write a book on his life one day.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You got an album based on relationships “Love. Hate. Relationships”. What made you decide to make that kind of concept?
Jukstapose: That is by far my best record too. I was just in a strange place. I was trying to balance two relationships at once. I lived with my girlfriend and had a girlfriend set up somewhere else. It was hard being two different people all the time. The new girl (who is the one on the cover with my name tatted in her mouth) had me feeling alive. The boring faded love with the one I lived with was getting bad. Eventually I moved out and chose the poor girl. We started with nothing and built an empire together. I never was that happy. We are now expecting our first child together. She's my best friend and soul mate.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Fans all over are feeling the music; you drop the ill jewels all the time. What will we learn from Jukstapose that we don’t know from your music?
Jukstapose: I mean I try and touch everything. Shoot for concepts or do just battle joints with crazy punches and witty metaphors. I never get political or preachy. I leave a lot of stuff out for safety purposes. Boom Bap always finds me again and ya know pain music and then feel good music. My lyrics are never fiction. At times I like to brag and boast but I make it artsy. I'm always exploring new avenues and trying to cross genres as well. I'm trying to appeal to all.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Of course, we know about the hip hop shows. You did your thing at “The Art of Lyrics” show last year and of course doing joints at the “Blue Room Lounge”. What can fans expect from a Jukstapose show?
Jukstapose: Energy. I am trying to tone it down a notch so I don't lose my breath so fast but yeah a lot of aggression and energy. When I'm rapping I feel more powerful than every soul in the building. No one will ever take my pride or heart away. It's not an ego thing I truly feel like I'm an undeniable MC. Put me in a room with Hov, Kane and Kool G I know I'll get their respect. I mean Trag has asked me for advice on recording procedures and he's the GOAT.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): You were one fifth of the group Empire Nation and also from Team Villain. Were there any differences in creativity between working on your solo joints and working with a group?
Jukstapose: Either or isn't a group really. Empire Nation is more like a click or compilation. I only know Acs and Verse. But it's all just made through emails and exchange of ideas. They come together quickly. Team Villain is the kids from my hood I grew up with as friends more than rappers. They'd rap for fun at parties and mess around while I was the only one doing my thing seriously. I fell out of touch with Skydive Mike for a few years and then coincidently we both moved back to Newark and started hanging out a lot. McGuyver de la Ghetto is such a beast I swear he amazes me. I wish I could get those guys motivated cause they are so talented but I can't force them. In real life they are great men and my best friends I have. We will always be super villains. I helped launch a few other artists too that aren't worth naming. They are doing a lot of nothing these days.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Now we all know we got peeps that want to get on. I know you get hit up with other artists wanting to work with you. I get hit with artists that want me to put them on for exposure. Ever got caught up with an annoying aspiring artist wanted to be put on by you and you know they can’t cut it?
Jukstapose: Like J Bux the most gangster rapper in jeruz? Or Wes Nihil the gang leader? My whole career I been working with losers that made me look good but it ultimately hurt cause no push ever lasted. What kind of human looks at a man like I want what he has so fuck him. If everyone is out for self then so be it but locally I paved the way for the whole jersey scene that spread beyond brick city. My brothers Jason Gorey & Seb Z will tell ya. There were a lot of others who got lost in the sauce though. The surrounding suburbs started to spawn rappers. I used to throw events but not anymore so I don't have to worry about that. As far as doing music with me if you are unknown you gotta pay me somehow. I do work with people I know and respect though cause it's enjoyable. I used to bully people but I'm older now and nice to everyone cause who am I to tell someone they can't try something. But please someone has to tell people they aren't doing things correctly.

I'm really not feeling a lot of the newer kids coming into the scene cause they just don't get the way things work. I can only do what's best for me. If you weren't spitting before 05 what's the point and that's me being generous. Really if you weren't doing it before 8 mile you are not ok. One day I'll break out the old 4 track recordings from 97-98 of me and the kids of downtown Newark spitting. Peace to uncle Double O, Reggie, the whole Outsidaz, Hom, Black Hitla, Piff James, Dilli, Govamatic, Slumz, Daniel Joseph, Tame and EL, DJ C Reality, Max Jerome, DJ Priority, A Sharp, Lady Luck, Rah Digga, Hussein Fatal, Wise Intelligent, Black 45 we had some things going on in the bricks it was fun.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Your dream track with two artists you haven’t worked with yet, produced by a producer you haven’t worked with, name the artists and producer?
Jukstapose: Jay Z & G Rap on a Primo beat Vs Rakim & Buckshot on a 9th Wonder beat

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Any advice you want to give out to up and coming artists that want to get on this!
Jukstapose: Don't do it go to school. It's a dying art and it's not a good income. There is no pension in rap. I could have pursued it and toured but I chose to have a career instead and do music for the love and build a legacy of my own. No disrespect I have a lot of friends who tour and make this their living but that would never ever suit me. I love my home and what I do.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): What’s next for Jukstapose in 2014?
Jukstapose: I'm dropping a mixtape or 2 cause I have a lot of unreleased stuff in the stash. But mostly I'm working on my album "Break Legends" which features every veteran ya can think of. Tragedy Khadafi, Havoc, Killah Priest, Timbo King, Blaq Poet, Sean Price and many more plus my own team. Beats by Handbook, Snowgoons, Tragic Allies, DJ Absurd, Tone Spliff, Thought Product, Analogic, DJ Ruckspin + more.

Ty DJC Jones (Intrigued): Before we’re out, any social networking joints peeps can look for you on for bookings, collaborations or listen to your music.
Jukstapose: Thanks for hearing me out and peace to all my friends that never got mentioned in here for your non-impact. This can be the NJ pride interview but NYC will always be the Mecca and Brick City will die the 6th boro. Google Jukstapose @ everything. I've got floods of stuff out there to steal. Twitter, FB, Soundcloud, YouTube Beatport and of course all the indie blogs who show love, I appreciate you guys for being so dedicated. For bookings Jukstaposehiphop@gmail.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment